Estado de Minas Gerais Travel Answers

change location

Exchange Student to Juiz de Fora, MG

by stillp800 Online Now May 9, 2005 at 2:50 PM

I'm an exchange student with Rotary International and I'm leaving for Juiz de Fora in July. I'll be attending school and living with about 3 host families, for a year total. I'm looking for information about how to get along in school and with my host family, Brazilian culture/customs/taboos, and how to fit in/make friends. Also, 2 questions: 1) Do guys in that area wear Speedos? 2) Are Brazilians really obsessed w/ soccer? Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RE: Exchange Student to Juiz de Fora, MG

by fillemelodique Online Now Mar 14, 2006 at 5:14 PM

I've seen more boys in swim trunks than speedos. No one will laugh at you if you wear trunks.

Be friendly, smile, be polite.

Not everyone is obsessed with soccer but it is prevalent. I think you're going to miss the world cup, not sure though.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Exchange Student to Juiz de Fora, MG

by Reiseeule Online Now Apr 12, 2006 at 11:11 AM

Hi, my posting will not be so helpful, but I just had to smile when I read your soccer question. I was married to a man from Juiz the Fora, he was not interested in soccer at all. I have a half Brazilian son. Also my neighbour is Brazilian, from the north, who has no interest in soccer: his sons and my son are the only boys in our neighbourhood who are not interested in soccer at all, whereas the other (Austrian) boys play soccer day and night. I am from a family where soccer is very important and my father was looking forward to have a Brasilian grandson who would love soccer....
    About Juiz the Fora: you will have a great time there! It is a nice city, people are nice. I still go there often to see my ex-relatives.
    I wish you a great time!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Estado de Minas Gerais Travel Answer Locations