Estado Amazonas Travel Answers

change location

Public boats between Puerto Ayacucho and San Fernando de Atabapo in Venezuela

by vaclavv Online Now Oct 21, 2008 at 7:27 AM

Hi. During my planned trip to Venezuela I will be passing through Puerto Ayacucho (on my way from Roraima to Llanos) and would like to make a short cruise along the Orinoco to get an idea of the rainforest and life there. I have read in the LP Venezuela guide and on Wikipedia about public boats making a daily 3-hour trip from Pt. Ayacucho (or rather Pt. Samariapo) to San Fernando de Atabapo.

If it was possible to make a return trip in a single day from Pt. Ayacucho to San Fernando and back with a few-hour stop in San Fernando, it would fit my needs perfectly. Could anybody please confirm that these public boats are indeed running with a reasonably reliable schedule and the return trip within a day is feasible? Any details, like the schedule and cost would be also welcomed.

Besides, I have seen some remarks about a necessity to have permission for travelling in the area. Would any pernission be necessary for the trip to Pt. Samariapo and San Fernando de Atabapo? If yes, would it be possible to get the permit on a short notice in Pt. Ayacucho? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • edytamve's Profile Photo

Re: Public boats between Puerto Ayacucho and San Fernando de Atabapo in Venezuela

by edytamve Online Now Oct 21, 2008 at 8:20 AM

Currently army manages all tourists trafic in Amazonas, which they try to limit, nobody knows why... Therefore, you need a special permit to be in that region as a tourist. Permits are issued only for travel agencies, not for individual tourists. I just came back from Yanomami tribe at Rio Siapa and we have been checked by army many times (permit, passports, luggage, boat equipment. Permit we organize 14 days before our trip.

Best Regards, Edyta

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Public boats between Puerto Ayacucho and San Fernando de Atabapo in Venezuela

by hossmar Online Now Oct 21, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Puerto Ayacucho - Atabapo is a very common route, as Pto Ayacucho is the biggest city closer to Atabapo wich is by the way a small town. I haven't done the route but a friends of mine did it 2 years ago. There were boats available without problem, and I dind't hear of any pemission required. I personally have been to La Esmeralda, deep into Venezuela's Amazonas State, and again no permission was required. There's a tighter control against wood and gold smuggling. But I don't think that would be an issue. I suggest you to take a yellow fever vaccination before taking the trip.

• Re: Public boats between Puerto Ayacucho and San Fernando de Atabapo in Venezuela

by vaclavv Online Now Oct 22, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Hi, thanks a lot for your replys - I very much appreciate your help.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Estado Amazonas Travel Answer Locations