Essaouira Travel Answers

change location

Can you recommend somewhere to swim with children?

by Louinthecountry Online Now May 23, 2011 at 5:37 AM

Hi,
I have heard that sea can be dangerous to swim in due to the current. Is this true and is there a safe area of the beach? Are there any hotels that you can recommend for swimming? My children are aged 12, 9 and 5. The older two are good swimmers but the younger one is not a strong swimmer.
Any other recommendations for things to do with children? The 9 year old is a competent rider, the rest of us are beginners. Could we ride together and if so what is a good price for 1/2 a day's riding?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • windcity's Profile Photo

Re: Can you recommend somewhere to swim with children?

by windcity Online Now May 25, 2011 at 3:25 AM

There are several hotels with pools in Essaouira, Top of the range is the Sofitel, Atlas Spa and Hotel des Isles. There is also an Ibis and Hotel Eljesira, there are others too. The beach is a wide curving bay with the port at one end and the dunes and village of Dibat at the other. There is an area that provide life guards but from what I have seen they are more interested in watching the girls rather than the bathers. Essaouira is famed for the wind which is perfect for kiting and surfing but not always ideal for sunbathing. Camel, Horse and dune buggy rides are available at the far end of the beach.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Can you recommend somewhere to swim with children?

by riverdale60 Online Now Jun 20, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Just returned from two days in ESS..-Stayed on the beach at Sofitel and at Atlas resort and spa(each about140/night). Both have pools and are nice.
    10 minute walk along beach promenade to old city/Medina. We stayed one night in each-arrived from Marrakech by Supratours Bus (very nice-2 1/2 hour ride-$9/person)

The beach is wide and sandy-both hotels have private areas for chairs/umbrellas (free to guests). Water in ocean is cold and very calm!!!-there are no waves and at low and hi tide it is shallow for a long distance out. If any more questions, advise.

If staying at Atlas, talk to front desk mgr-Hnane-She is GREAT!!

Send my regards

michael/Jill
    Mill Valley, CA

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Essaouira