Essaouira Travel Answers

change location

Money money money (and kids)

by louwheez Online Now Mar 31, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Hi
I am travelling to Essaouira on Friday and I just wondered if there was an ATM machine there or if I need to sort myself out with travellers' cheques/US dollars. Can someone advise?

Also, any tips on travelling to Essaouira with a 2 year old? I am particularly interested in trips to nearby places (we will probably hire a car as we are surfers) that a 2 year old might like?

Lx

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • windcity's Profile Photo

Re: Money money money (and kids)

by windcity Online Now Mar 31, 2009 at 3:46 AM

There are many ATM machines in Essaouira, There are 2 other beaches for surfing near to Essaouira, Sidi Kaouki and Mulay Bouzektoun. Local buses go there but a car would be a better option for flexibility.
    Have a nice trip...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: Money money money (and kids)

by angiebabe Online Now Mar 31, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Hi will have another go at answering as I sadly got wiped!

Yes getting a rental car is highly recommended or a must for any time you have there - there are some fab beaches and bays and fishing villages along the route from Essaouira down to Agadir and greatly recommend driving that route - I have a few tips in my E. and my A. pages on out of town places to visit - beaches of course are great for kids but watch out as they can be quite dirty and littered - especially after rainy periods - of course the biggest worry are sharps that could puncture or cut and deliver rather nasty bugs and viruses....
    but being avid surfers there are fab and fav as surfer hangouts places such as Imousouane and Taghazout - Imousouane also has a big fishmarket and im sure your child would get excited over seeing the different types of fish being carted in from the boats or auctioned in the big auction house thats there - there is also an excellent seafood restaurant.

seeing goats in the argane trees along that route where the argane trees are prevalent between Essaouira and Agadir Im sure would be interesting or exciting for you and your child!
    and then there are always camels at places that tourists go to - such as Sidi Kouki and so on.

Tamri is a big banana centre so buying fresh locally bananas and seeing them growing or sale in many places is quite interesting.

and in Essaouira itself I reckon a visit to its fishing port and fishmarket is of course interest and photogenic, as is the fortress walls with its cannons and interesting gates, along with excellent and high quality thuya marquetry products - along with its lovely scent - for sale at many shops - particularly recommended at the cooperatives and at the workshops that are below the fortress walls near the sea.

A drive to Immouzzer is also nice - theres a waterfall there - its quite a lengthy drive from Essaouira itself but possible.

anyway have a look at VTers travel pages with suggested or recommended places to see for more ideas.

All the best for a fun trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Essaouira