Essaouira Travel Answers

change location

Beach Bar

by Cutie314 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Can anyone recommend a a bar overlooking the water? We are 3 female and 1 male in late 20's and early 30's, so we are looking for a place that will be welcoming to and respectful toward women and tourists. We would love to meet and chat with other travelers and locals, however, we absolutely do not want to deal with any propositions for sex or to buy drugs. I hope this isn't asking for too much. Thank you to any replies.

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

Re: Beach Bar

by SOLODANCER Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 3:00 PM

The public beach next to the Fisherman's wharf just outside the town's ramparts there are a number of cafes by the beach with outside seating. This area is fine both for swimming and plain hanging out. The touts will be there but simply wave them away.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Beach Bar

by Cutie314 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Thank you for the great advise!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Or walk right the way along the beach to the last café there, where a lot of the kite-surfers are. Coffee, food and a great spot to watch the kite-surfers from. There are no hawkers around that area.

• windcity's Profile Photo

by windcity Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 3:48 AM

There are 4 places to drink that face the sea, Just outside the Medina, at the start of the beach there is a bar frequented by locals and tourists, It has a sign over the door that says "BAR", Next there is Restaurant Mogador, it is on the road side, then there is Beach and Friends and Ocean Vagabond, both these are at the far end of the beach. All of these places are good to watch the sun set.

by Cutie314 Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 2:27 PM

So I did not get to check out any if those places, but my main concern was how women drinking would be treated in Morocco because I read mixed things. I'm glad to report that it was only uncomfortable once. Before out desert tour, our guide asked if we wanted anything for the night. He was insinuating weed, but we told him we are more drinkers than smokers. He took us to a bar in a hotel. Everyone there was local and male. My brother and boyfriend bought beer while my (female) cousin and I went outside to look at the pool area. My cousin is not a big drinker so while the boys bought me a beer, they did not get her one. But when we came back inside, she decided a beer might be nice to watch the sunset and ordered one. The way those men looked at her....wow, I wanted to punch them all....they are drinking at 1pm but they think they have a right to judge her? Beautiful country, but such pushy and judgmental people.....

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 1:51 AM

That is their religion and the way they are brought up. You have no right to be judgemental of them in their own country, whatever you or I feel about it. Plus you are just generalising on "people" when as you admit to "only uncomfortable once"

by Cutie314 Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 2:25 AM

I'm sorry, I don't buy "their culture and religion" as a justification to disrespect women, and neither should anyone, no matter where they happen to be in the world.

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 4:42 AM

It is disrespect to look at women ?

by Cutie314 Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 6:11 AM

It is disrespectful to look at women with disgust. Yes.

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 9:20 AM

So, you didn't look at the men with disgust ?

• windcity's Profile Photo

by windcity Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Having lived in Morocco for 7 years I have NEVER felt disrespected, either in the street or a bar. Most bars in Morocco are frequented by men only. When I have gone into a bar with my husband I am treated no differently than anyone else. I have noticed that the only Moroccan women in these places have been prostitutes. Respectable Moroccan women stay home or go out with groups of friends. It is only in big cities that you find lone women in a coffee shop, It is normal for men to go out and women to stay home.

2 members found this helpful

• by Cutie314 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Nope! a big smile!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Essaouira