Essaouira Travel Answers

change location
Loobcom's Profile Photo

Wheelchair access Essaoura

by Loobcom Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 5:49 AM

I am traveling to Essaoura in a few weeks with my girlfriend who has limited mobility. She can walk up to about 300 metres. We will be taking her wheelchair with us.

I see from google maps that our hotel, The Atlas, is about 400 metres from the old port. My question is this: when we visit the medina, for restaurants and shopping trips, will I be able to navigate the narrow streets with the wheelchair?

Obviouly, I don't expect the medina to be fully wheelchair accessible, I just need some information on local conditions and how much of a challenge they may present.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Loobcom's Profile Photo

Re: Wheelchair access Essaoura

by Loobcom Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Thanks Benny, very helpful.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • windcity's Profile Photo

by windcity Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I have seen many wheelchair usesrs in Essaouira Medina including locals. The streets and pavements are sometimes uneven and the kerbs high, but there is always a slope for carts to navigate. There are many restaurants and snack places at ground level. The Atlas is a very good choice as they have a ramp at the front door. I hope you enjoy your stay

by Loobcom Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Thanks Windycity. I have read your posts on this forum and found them very informative.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM

great answer Benny! I wouldve said the same about Essaouira as being one of the best places for getting around by wheelchair in Morocco. the long paths parallel to the beach would be great too.

how are you getting to Essaouira?

there are actually a number of places around Morocco that come to mind that would be pretty good for wheelchairs as quite a number of towns are well footpathed, restaurants at footpath level so if you did want to travel further afield....

by Loobcom Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 2:01 AM

We are flying to Marrakech and getting a private taxi from a driver (TH) that has been recommended on these boards.

by Loobcom Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Angiebabe, I would be pleased to hear your suggestion for possible side trips.

by Loobcom Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Well it's day four of our trip. The Atlas is somewhat further from the Medina than I had thought, maybe one kilometre. We have had breakfast in the hotel the last few days, today we decided to go to a local cafe in the Place 11 Janvier. The pavements are not navigable by wheelchair and so we had to go in the road most of the way.

THe little blue taxis are not a bad way to travel (7dh). When we visit the Jewish cemetery this afternoon we'll take one to BabDoukkala and then continue on foot/wheelchair from there onwards. Should be interesting!

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Essaouira