Escalante Travel Answers

change location
wendyjol's Profile Photo

unpaved roads in Escalante

by wendyjol Online Now Jan 8, 2004 at 12:26 AM

On my Rand McNally road map there is an unpaved road marked from highway 12 (Cannonville) to highway 89 , passing Kodachrome SP, Grosvenor Arch and Cottonwood Canyon. Can you drive this road by a normal rental car? How long will this road take ? Are there any hiking trails starting from this road, which are not too long (we are travelling with two kids)? Thanks Wendy

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Re: unpaved roads in Escalante

by karenincalifornia Online Now Feb 2, 2004 at 8:51 PM

Hi Wendy, I see you haven't had any replies to your question yet. I used to live in Utah and I found that many of the unpaved roads were very difficult for a regular car. (I know - I took some pretty risky chances a few times.) However, if you are renting a 4 wheel drive, it will be much easier. I don't know anything about this specific road, but if it were me, I wouldn't take the chance with a regular car. It sounds like you are planning fantastic trip! Karen

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: unpaved roads in Escalante

by slimandthe Online Now May 11, 2004 at 3:42 PM

Hi. That's a question I would like answering aswell. We are planning a trip thro' Zion to Bryce then to monument valley and are looking for the best driving tips. Cheers Slimandthe..

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines