change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

Popular Eritrea Travel Answer Locations

• how is the night life in asmara

Eritrea May 7, 2014 at 7:21 PM

i would love to buy some beach property in asmara and open up a food and bar spot how welcoming are they to that?

4 Answers May 8, 2014 at 10:12 PM
    • Boat trip from Assab to Yemen

Eritrea Apr 8, 2014 at 4:46 AM

Hi all,

I heard there might be passenger boat service from Assab to Yemen, namely, Mocha.

Could anyone please shed light on this please?

Thanks,

2 Answers Apr 8, 2014 at 7:13 AM
    • aortser's Profile Photo

Getting to Asmara from Djibouti, looking for advice on visa and flights

Asmara Sep 26, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Hi,

I would like to get to Asmara from Djibouti. I wonder whether it would be more convenient to reach Asmara from Nairobi or from Sanaa.

I also would appreciate if you could let me know what should I do in order to get a tourist visa (I am based in Djibouti now).

Any other recommendation about the country would be more than welcome.

Many thanks,

2 Answers Oct 10, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    • Internet availability in Asmara?

Asmara Sep 18, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Hi everyone,
      We may be coming to live and work in Asmara for the next 3-4 years. Can anybody tell us what are internet connections availability and speeds like? We will be living in a rented house in the city and would really like to be able to use Skype to keep in touch with family and friends. Any other hints and advice will be welcome also!
      Thanks John and Ella

2 Answers Sep 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    • I need some infos

Asmara Aug 19, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Hi to all!

I'm from Italy, and my wife can go to asmara to work as teacher in an italian school for some years (at least 4 we think...). She must confirm or deny in a week.

I have same questions:

- Is a quite place?
      - What about hospitals?
      - There are some problems with food or water o something like?
      - Can I found a work for me? I'm a 42 years old computer programmer with about 24 years experience. However, every work is ok for me...

We think to accept, because we think this can be a fantastic experience, but some words from someone who knows the city, the people and the life in asmara is very needed...

Thanks in advice
      Del Mestre Luca

3 Answers Mar 15, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    • Eritrea Institute of Technology

Asmara Dec 18, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Hey friends !!

I am from India, and may be going to Eritrea as a lecturer in the Eritrea Institute of Technology early next year. Since its an absolutely new place for me, I wonder how it would be for an outsider to settle there. It would also be of great help if somebody can throw some light on the cost of living over there.

Thanks.
      Samik.

5 Answers Jan 5, 2011 at 10:51 PM
    • grizzlypeak's Profile Photo

Can we get into Eritrea from Djubuti?

Eritrea Sep 15, 2009 at 10:32 PM

We will be in Ethiopia in January and ending Feb 4. We would like to get to Eritrea. I keep reading that it is NOT possible to get there by land.

Can we, in fact, get through Djubuti?

Thanks,

Joe

2 Answers Sep 16, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    • esporret's Profile Photo

bordering eritrea

Eritrea Mar 18, 2009 at 1:10 PM

We are planning to go to Ethiopia and cross to Eritrea. We travel by cycle but looks like is not possible to border overland.I have read that the best option is by plane trought a third country ( Sudan or yemen) but this is not an exciting option for bikers. Do you know if we can cross to Djibouti and get eritrea from there? We would appreciate any comments .

3 Answers Mar 19, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    • Ferry between Eritrea and Yemen wanted

Eritrea Nov 25, 2008 at 7:32 AM

Hi,
      I would like to land by plane in Asmara, Eritrea. From there I could go to Massawa. Than I want a boat/ferry-transport to Yemen.
      1. I wonder whether I could get a ferry from there to any Yemeni port?
      Al Hudaydah for example.
      Finally I wana travel to Sana'a, the Yemeni capital.
      Thank you and hope you are having a good trip.

1 Answer Nov 27, 2008 at 4:56 PM
    • scotsgirl's Profile Photo

Contact details for Africa Pension, Asmara

Eritrea Nov 5, 2008 at 7:58 AM

Does anyone have an e-mail address for the Africa Pension in Asmara? Thanks!

• scotsgirl's Profile Photo

Some Eritrea travel advice please

Eritrea Aug 25, 2008 at 5:56 AM

My partner and I are thinking of going to Eritrea on a 2 week holiday at the end of November. What is the situation for tourists at the moment?

Is there enough to see in two weeks? We like to see cities, ruins, trekking, snorkelling, remote villages etc. Any recommendations?

We see the FCO website says tourists need a permit to leave Asmara, and this is sometimes refused. Does anyone has any experience with trying to do this? How likely is it that we would be refused? And if we were, is it easy to take a flight to a nearby country, eg. Egypt? Also, how much is there to do in Asmara itself?

How much money would we be likely to spend, i.e. accommodation, transport, sightseeing etc?

Any other advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks!

L

2 Answers Jan 5, 2009 at 4:36 AM
    • pls i need a hotel in eritrea i can book and pay with egold

Eritrea Mar 3, 2008 at 2:43 AM

Hello , every body in eritrea forum, pls can anyone help me to finding out a hotel i can book and pay with e-gold and how much per night,

Thanks and hope to hear from u soon

Timothy mfon.

5 Answers May 16, 2008 at 12:27 PM
    • Long Stay - Cost of apartments?

Asmara Nov 18, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Hi, I'm possibly looking to visit Asmara & Eritrea for a few months, thefore looking at renting an apartment with internet connection. Can someone advise me of the approximate cost for such an idea permonth?

Thank you.

1 Answer Jan 11, 2008 at 4:54 AM
    • travelinxs's Profile Photo

Eritrea Visas in Yemen

Eritrea Nov 17, 2007 at 4:08 AM

A quick warning - as of this month (november 2007) you now CANNOT obtain an Eritrean tourist visa in Sanaa, Yemen unless you have a Yemani residency permit. It has just changed (..and I have just bought a non-refundable air ticket!!) and as of yet I cant find a way around it. Obtain the visa before you leave home. This obviously makes guide book information obsolete and should be double-checked.
      Cheers.

• Hancul

Hancul Nov 9, 2006 at 11:48 AM

I need to travel to Hancul (Eritrea) for business reasons and would like to know if anybody has tips re- accommodation, meals, night life and so on.

Thanks.

Ferdicerd

• mirko77's Profile Photo

Muslim "weekend" in Massawa

Massawa Oct 18, 2006 at 8:53 AM

Hi!
      I am trying to organize a day tour from Asmara, but I have only Thursday or
      Friday. The choice is between Keren or Massawa. Which would you advise,
      considering that friday is muslim weekend? Do all activities stop? How would you organise it to get the best out of it?
      Thank you for the help,
      Mirko

• mirko77's Profile Photo

Muslim "weekend"

Eritrea Oct 18, 2006 at 8:50 AM

Hi!
      I am trying to organize a day tour from Asmara, but I have only Thursday or
      Friday. The choice is between Keren or Massawa. Which would you advise,
      considering that friday is muslim weekend? Do all activities stop? How would you organise it to get the best out of it?
      Thank you for the help,
      Mirko

• Family Traditions

Eritrea Aug 31, 2006 at 2:00 AM

I am a provider of childrens education in australia and we are exploring the different family traditions of the world. I would love it if you could forward me some traditional celebrations that families uphold within Eritrea. Kind Regard, Justine Chappell

• Sami29's Profile Photo

Visiting Asmara in July

Eritrea Jun 5, 2006 at 12:27 AM

Hi to all VT members:
      i am planning to spend my summer vacation in Asmara, Eritrea. Can anyone suggest please a good affordable hotel, guest friendly clean (not interContinantal please) near the entertainment centre? Also i want to know of any freindly bar or nightclub there. Thanks

3 Answers Aug 5, 2006 at 2:11 AM
    • Mike_Austing's Profile Photo

Asmara, Eritrea/Kagnew Station (US Army Security Agency Field Station)

Eritrea Mar 28, 2006 at 8:10 AM

I was assigned to Asmara from November 1969 to April 1970. Is Kagnew Station (where HQ was located) still there; is it permissible to enter onto the grounds? Some of my fondest memories were strolling Haile Selassie Blvd and Queen Elizabeth Blvd; visiting the restaurants (very good Italian food!) and the local nightlife; taking a gherry cart for the equivalent of.50 anywhere in the city; the "Bush" and the local marts.

4 Answers Oct 12, 2006 at 11:12 AM
    • bruce_s's Profile Photo

Safe To travel/visit Eritrea?

Eritrea Oct 31, 2005 at 5:56 AM

Hi,
      My girlfriend and i are thinking of coming to Eritrea for a few weeks this December. We are wanting to visit Asmara, Massawa and the islands. Are all nationals safe there at the moment?
      Many thanks
      Bruce

4 Answers Oct 30, 2008 at 3:51 AM
    • Pls help in taking right decision

Asmara Oct 25, 2005 at 3:34 PM

Hi

I have got a job in Asmara for 1 year, should i go to asmara for doing a job, i currently reside in delhi, India.
      Is it safe place to reside, as there is a war condition right now. How much would it cost monthly for food and residence ?
      Are residence complexes clean there ? What kind of vegetarian food i can get there ?

Regards
      Ashish

2 Answers Jul 22, 2007 at 1:32 PM
    • Borders

Eritrea Feb 25, 2005 at 7:25 PM

Hi,
      I'm going to visit Eritrea in summer. I have a few questions, please help.
      1) Is it true that only overland route is via Ethiopia and Djibouti?
      2) Is it safe and wise travelling by land from Djibouti border (~Assab)
      to Asmara?
      3) Are there any ferry from Massawa to Jeddah (SA) or somewhere in Yemen (Aden)?
      In general, I will start in Egypt and I want to visit Sudan and Eritrea (it's a must) and then go back via Saudi Arabia/Syria/Turkey to Europe. Visiting Ethiopia and Djibouti would be nice, but not necessary.

Thanks in advance.

3 Answers Apr 14, 2005 at 5:25 PM
    • Borders

Asmara Feb 25, 2005 at 7:24 PM

Hi,
      I'm going to visit Eritrea in summer. I have a few questions, please help.
      1) Is it true that only overland route is via Ethiopia and Djibouti?
      2) Is it safe and wise travelling by land from Djibouti border (~Assab)
      to Asmara?
      3) Are there any ferry from Massawa to Jeddah (SA) or somewhere in Yemen (Aden)?
      In general, I will start in Egypt and I want to visit Sudan and Eritrea (it's a must) and then go back via Saudi Arabia/Syria/Turkey to Europe. Visiting Ethiopia and Djibouti would be nice, but not necessary.

Thanks in advance.

1 Answer Mar 17, 2005 at 11:12 PM
    • Traveller_GT's Profile Photo

Eritrea - Asmara arrival

Asmara Feb 1, 2005 at 10:30 AM

Does anyone know the Ambassador hotel on Harnet Ave in Asmara? Specific quesitons I have are: How is the hotel? How far is the Ambassador from the airport? How much should a taxi cost to the hotel? How does one change money upon arrival into Asmara? Is there a change place at the airport? Thanks in advance!!!!

2 Answers Feb 3, 2005 at 5:30 AM
    • evliyasems's Profile Photo

Eritrea's situation

Eritrea Nov 1, 2004 at 3:48 AM

Hi, I am planning to visit Eritrea/Asmara within 3 weeks and would like to learn exact details about security, facts, night life and etc. Thansk and best regards

2 Answers Mar 19, 2005 at 9:25 AM
    • MattTB's Profile Photo

Diving and Snorkelling

Eritrea Feb 11, 2004 at 11:14 PM

Hi! Has anyone been diving or snorkelling off the Etrean coast? What's it like? Where is the best place to stay?

5 Answers Mar 10, 2005 at 3:45 PM
    • Average accommodation in Asmara

Asmara Nov 14, 2003 at 7:09 PM

Can anyone recommend a cheap but clean hotel in Asmara? I've heard the Bristol Hotel is ok, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be grateful. By cheap I mean between5-$10. Thanks.

1 Answer Feb 26, 2004 at 11:32 PM
    • Nightlife in Asmara

Eritrea Nov 14, 2003 at 8:34 AM

Can anyone tell me about the nightlife in Asmara? Is it as good as it is in Addis Ababa or Mekelle? Lots of dancing fueled by cheap beer and gin? B.L.

2 Answers Nov 14, 2003 at 5:46 PM