Eritrea Travel Answers

change location
bruce_s's Profile Photo

Safe To travel/visit Eritrea?

by bruce_s Online Now Oct 31, 2005 at 5:56 AM

Hi,
My girlfriend and i are thinking of coming to Eritrea for a few weeks this December. We are wanting to visit Asmara, Massawa and the islands. Are all nationals safe there at the moment?
Many thanks
Bruce

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

RE: Safe To travel/visit Eritrea?

by christine.j Online Now Oct 31, 2005 at 6:48 AM

From what I know the situation seems to be safe, but it's more difficult to travel around than it was a few years ago, when my daughter went there to see her friend, a girl from an Eritrean family who had come to live in Germany.But even then she had to register with the embassy once she was in the country.You may have to stick to your itinerary and are not allowed any detours.
    It took some time to get a visa, so if you plan a trip in December, start applying now. We found out that it speeds things up when you go to the consulate in person.
    Asmara, Massawa and the islands are beautiful.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bruce_s's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Safe To travel/visit Eritrea?

by bruce_s Online Now Nov 3, 2005 at 2:23 AM

Thanks so much for your advice. We might actually wait until next year for this trip.
    cheers
    bruce

• Re: Safe To travel/visit Eritrea?

by genemartin Online Now Feb 18, 2008 at 5:50 AM

I would not go there. They are persecuting Jehovah's Witnesses there. Any country that takes away the freedom of any group and imprisons them for their beliefs and for their refusal to serve in the military is clearly not a safe country to go to, and is volatile and unstable, and at the very least they deserved to be boycotted for their lack of respect for people's freedoms. To go to a country that is doing this to any group of people, now knowing that they do this, and in effect supporting their economy, would show a lack of regard for basic human principles, rights and freedoms.

I would have considered going there, but knowing that the government is doing this, I will not go there until they correct this problem.

• Re: Safe To travel/visit Eritrea?

by YossarianBa Online Now Oct 30, 2008 at 3:51 AM

Well, if we think like that, noone would ever visit USA.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Eritrea Travel Answer Locations