Ephesus Travel Answers

change location

is scenery from Istanbul to Selcuk worth taking a bus to see or should we fly Ist-Izmir?

by sparklyowl1977 Online Now May 14, 2010 at 7:41 PM

My travel companion and I will be in Istanbul June 28-July 1 and then want to go to Selcuk and Ephesus for 1-2 days before going to Greece via Samos. To save time we are thinking about flying from Istanbul to Izmir and then taking bus/taxi to Selcuk. Are we going to miss out on some amazing scenery between Istanbul and Selcuk if we fly? For those who have traveled by bus or car between Istanbul and this region, is it worth us taking a long day (or more? not sure how long the bus trip is) to go by bus?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

Re: is scenery from Istanbul to Selcuk worth taking a bus to see or should we fly Ist-Izmir?

by balhannah Online Now May 14, 2010 at 9:33 PM

It doesn't sound like you have that much time, so in your circumstances, I would fly.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Re: is scenery from Istanbul to Selcuk worth taking a bus to see or should we fly Ist-Izmir?

by mikelisaanna Online Now May 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM

If you had more time, it would be worth going overland with stops at Gallipoli, Troy, and Bergama (Pergamon), However, if you only have 1-2 days after Istanbul, then fly to Izmir to save time. Ephesus will take you about 1/2 day to tour. However, the nearby Ephesus museum in Selcuk is also worth visiting. The nearby Virgin Mary shrine is also worth visiting if you are religious. You can also hit the beach at nearby Kusadasi or visit the ruins of the Greek town of Priene (40 km south) if you have any time left.

• Re: is scenery from Istanbul to Selcuk worth taking a bus to see or should we fly Ist-Izmir?

by Yukseltasdemir Online Now Mar 14, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Hi,
    I can suggest you to stay in Kusadasi.it is easy to visit Ephesus from Kusadasi, then you have to take a ferry to Samos from Kusadasi.Ferrys are once a day from Kusadasi to Samos(everyday from 1st of april till 31th of october)
    I can recommed you a local Tour operator to: adavegas Travel.
    Have a good time.
    Yuksel

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines