Ephesus Travel Answers

change location

Daytrip from Selcuk to Pergamon?

by newideal Online Now Mar 1, 2006 at 12:40 PM

Hi I was wondering if it's possible to see Pergamon as a daytrip from Selcuk, preferably as a do-it-myself daytrip?

I want to see Pergamom but was thinking of heading south instead of north down the coast. I've read that Troy, Canakkale, Gallipoli are overrated - agree or disagree? (coming from Greece, I'll already be seeing a lot of ruins)

Thanks so much for your help!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

RE: Daytrip from Selcuk to Pergamon?

by hawkhead Online Now Mar 2, 2006 at 12:37 AM

I agree, Troy is absolutely worth seeing. I was quite prepared to miss it on our trip but was persuaded otherwise, and am I glad that I was. Also, Gallipoli is quite another experience - absolutely unforgettable and it made a huge impression on all the people in our group.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Sirvictor's Profile Photo

RE: Daytrip from Selcuk to Pergamon?

by Sirvictor Online Now Mar 2, 2006 at 11:50 AM

I understand that you are coming by the sea from Greek islands to Selcuk? How much time do you want to spent in Turkey?(sorry spent is not the exact word it is better "earn or learn) Pergamon or we Turks say "Bergama" lays at North. There is no direct bus line from Selcuk. You must rend a car or take a bus to Izmir and from izmir again by bus to Bergama.It takes 2-3 hours to Izmir and extra 2-3 hours to Bergama.Time for A daily tour is not enough. You must overnight there. But on the other hand "Didim" or "The Cave of 7 Sleepres" or "Home of Mother Mary" are in selcuk. In Didim you will wonder the ruins of Apollon Temple.

PS: In Greece there are no important ruins. Wait! you will see the real ruins in Turkey.
    May you come happily and return happily.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines