Ephesus Travel Answers

change location
Kodi01's Profile Photo

Ephesus

by Kodi01 Online Now Aug 30, 2003 at 5:32 PM

Hi, How far is it from Istanbul to Ephesus and what are the best methods to travel in Turkey!

Quote & Answer
40 Answers
  • fabrice's Profile Photo

Re: Ephesus

by fabrice Online Now Aug 30, 2003 at 8:14 PM

from istanbul you have buses to everywhere,but it might take 7 hours to ephesus or you can travel by plane to izmir,then by bus trains in turkey are very slow

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kodi01's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Ephesus

by Kodi01 Online Now Aug 30, 2003 at 8:22 PM

Thanks, would renting a car be better idea?

• fabrice's Profile Photo

by fabrice Online Now Aug 30, 2003 at 8:24 PM

renting a car is a good idea,so you can travel everywhere by yourself except that drivers in turkey are extremely dangerous,especially at night driving in istanbul is a nightmare

• Aggeliki's Profile Photo

by Aggeliki Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 5:50 AM

Yes I agree that driving is very dangerous in Turkey! People they dont have attention on the road and accidents are very often, I think the best way is to take a bus from Istanbul, The service in turkish buses is perfect and comfortable. Istanbul - Ephesos is about 8 hours. Another way is by plane to Izmir and gy car or bus to Ephesos. Regards!!!

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

by Kodi01 Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 5:57 AM

Ok Driving is out for me, does anyone know airfare costs from Istanbul to Ephesus and would you recommend any other cities and why? THANKS!

by Aggeliki Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 6:13 AM

The final price from Istanbul to Izmir is about 280 EURO with Turkish Airlines. From Izmir by bus tickets are very very cheap. I suggest you to see also Izmir, it has many things to see there. Another choice is to visit some nice coast villages, Cesme, Kusadasi (a little touristic) .This side of Turkey is so attractive.:))

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

by Kodi01 Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 6:16 AM

Thanks Angelikka, glad to see you are from Greece, as I have another great question. How is the best (least expensive) way to get to Greece. I want to come back to see some islands this time. Athens I love! That is where I saw alot of the Turkish influence and learned about Turkey.

by Aggeliki Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 6:25 AM

Thank you Kathy!! Really I remember two VT members they talked me for first time when I came to VT! You and Yiannis2000. Yes I love Turkey as well as Yiannis too:)) I have never been in your country but as I think the most cheap ticket, as I have heard, is by Delta Airlines, My mum travelled with this plane to America, and she said me it was very good company. I hope you will visit Athens again one day, and some of the islands:)) This summer i have been in 2 of the most nice islands in Greece. Santorini** famous! and Chios island**not famous:)))) Welcomee Tzina

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

by Kodi01 Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 6:31 AM

HI, well you should make me a friend if I was one of the first to write to you. That was a long time ago, and Greece was my lifelong dream destination come true. I can not compliment you and your culture enough. I love it! Wish I could live there somehow. I am an Olympic 2004 volunteer, so if I come in the next two weeks, I need to set up an interview with them. Santorinin is my most fav island that I want to see, and have you been to Corfu? I would like to see Rhodes and on a map, it maybe close to Turkey..... :o)

by Aggeliki Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 6:41 AM

Thank yu very much:)) no, Corfu is an island I didnt visit yet. But I was in Rhodes, it has a very old city,, and it is worth to see this. Islands are very nice, but Athens is changing so fast now because of the constructions everywhere for the Olympic games. Some people that Athens will be very different in a liitle months!

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

by Kodi01 Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 6:46 AM

Athens was tore up while I was there and I know there was much more to come in preparation for 2004. Most museums were closed, but I still loved Athens! Even the Acropolis had wires on it.

• manuelEB's Profile Photo

by manuelEB Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 6:55 AM

Do not drive in Turkry Kat, especially if you are alone. Ephesus's queen Buket will be very helpful. Ask her about details. But waht my dear frined from Greece is recommnending it is the holy book: Fly to Izmir and from there move on buses. Forgt about buses cost, it is so cheap. There are nother places in Antolia i will recommend but do not bother trying to see everything. Istanbul and Ephesus is a good choice. Take time to explore Istanbul. You will need from 5 to 6 decades!!! (-;

by Aggeliki Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 7:02 AM

Yes, I agree with Manuel! Buket is the princess of Ephesos, and she and me and Manuel, we re friends of the Greek-Turkish friendship!!! I hope I will see you Manuel in Istanbul with Buket also! I believe that one journey in Istanbul is never enough! Maybe in 5-10 trips there you can see something:)))))

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

by Kodi01 Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 7:04 AM

Hi Manuel, Is it dangerous there? Not to drive alone? I have emailed and looked at Buket pages, it is a city I think I would love to see. But, but, but should I now skip Turkey and see Greek Islands. I need millions of lifetimes to do any that I want to see. Only 2,000 or more Greek islands to see! Truly a paradise!

• Re: Re: Ephesus

by Ivan_Jimenez Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 7:21 AM

Would anyone be surprised if I told you that I have taken FANTASTIC road trips in Turkey? Safranbolu.. Amasra, Trabzon... even down south to the coast... This is a lot of inconvenient buses to take if you want to explore a bit...

by manuelEB Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 7:31 AM

We will, we will Aggeliki... I still have to physically visit Greece, bt I 've been there so many time. The music!!!! Kat. It is dangereous because they drive rough in very narrow roads. It isnot specially rough, thouh. If you have ever experienced France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Venezuela, Japan, noo problem at all. But if those straight line wide (17 lanes highways with limited traffic is your vsion of drivng, then you wil be in troubles. They way from Istanbul to Eskishimir to gvie you an example is scaring, even for veterans. Imaging yourself passing a convoy of 10 trucks runnig uphill full of curves at 15 miles/h!!!!! Well, they do it!!!! (-;

by Ivan_Jimenez Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 7:39 AM

Manuel... Agree with you... totally... It just depends on your previous driving experience... Try also hiring an automatic car in Turkey..

by manuelEB Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 7:40 AM

Claro, of course Ivan. Drving is the best way to experience the country if your plan is not having a plan. But Kat is asking for a more especific thing. Istanbul-Ephesus is a 10 hours trip and I guess her pink ladies are not going to let her to be in Turkey for more than 10 days or so...Why then wore yourself in a somehow stressing drive? Moreover, futhermore... 10 hours drivng means 10 hours less wihout Raki!!!!!

by Ivan_Jimenez Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 8:03 AM

This is total nonsense... You can drink Raki whilst driving... It is feasible... I have done it...

by manuelEB Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 8:09 AM

Yeah but dissolved in water... Cheating drinker! or it was cheating driver? anyways... Kat: Fly to izmir. Bus to Ephesus. Kiss Buket on my behalf.

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

by Kodi01 Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 8:17 AM

If the driving is worse than Athens, then I stay in the plane in Dallas.......hehe!

by Ivan_Jimenez Online Now Aug 31, 2003 at 9:07 AM

Worse..

by Aggeliki Online Now Sep 1, 2003 at 2:56 AM

Yes driving is worse in Turkey, than Greece...But... usually women are not drinking raki while driving, and second, i dont recommend to a woman to drive alone long distances in Turkey.... SO Kathy, came first to Greek islands and later on we go to Turkey, i know everything there:))

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

by Kodi01 Online Now Sep 1, 2003 at 3:09 AM

Great idea Angelika, I was just thinking about that last nite. Going to Greece, as a matter of fact, I bought books about the Greek islands yesterday. :o) Raki, what is that btw...?? Manuel my firend, I have 4 weeks of vacation, but I can not use all at once and not because of my work, but because I have 2 lovely dogs and I hate to feel a burden on my pet sitter as he has one also. See my homepage - "3 is company" Great fun for a week, but longer...the Alphas seem to say "This is my home" .... :o) So, 10 days - 2 weeks at a time is max I feel comfy with....

• Erkmen's Profile Photo

by Erkmen Online Now Sep 1, 2003 at 4:12 AM

Hi Kathy Driving from Istanbul to Izmir is quiet possible for a single lady, however you should know some tips. I agree driving is dangerous in Turkey, however the road from Istanbul to Izmir is the most controlled one, and the Traffic has gone in to a tide. First of all, If you decide to drive, you need to cover the road with a Ferry connection. From Yenikapi (Near the Touristy area) fast ferries are leaving to Bandirma, Many tourists do not know this way . Ferry takes car & Pass. and reaches to Bandirma in two hours.. After Bandirma you need to drive 3 hrs to Izmir. There is Traffic control in each Km, so you should mind the speed limit of 90Km per hour.. Istanbul - Izmir road by ferry connection is the easiest and shortest way to reach Izmir.. When you reach Izmir, you should take the highway to "Aydin". And around 70 km later you will see the signs of Selcuk. So you should leave the high way.Izmir - Aydin highway is a new and very good highway to drive. When you leave the highway to Selcuk, there is a narrow and old road leading to Selcuk but thats for 5 Km. And then you are in selcuk.. Ephesus is 3 km to Selcuk. You can stay and rest in Selcuk and then continue to Ephesus. Bus is another alternative.. There are daily buses From Istanbul to Izmir.. And also Buses to Kusadasi.. Izmir buses are more often, but with a busto Kusadasi you dont need to make a stopover.. The road to Izmir takes around 8,5 hrs with Lunch breaks.. And the cost is changing from company to company.. But its around 20-35 USD ... If you go directly to Izmir, then you shall take another bus to Kusadasi, and drop off when you are in Selcuk.. (Izmir to Selcuk 75Km, Izmir- Kusadasi 95 km).. The least adviced way is to take a plane.. From Istanbul to Izmir the cost is around 100 USD one way.. However the Izmir airport is far from the city center.. So in order to reach to selcuk, take a taxi from the airport to Selcuk costs 50-60 USD or take a regular Shuttle to the city center and take a bus to Selcuk.. Regards Erkmen

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

by Kodi01 Online Now Sep 4, 2003 at 4:11 AM

Ermen, Thank you for the great directions on travel in your country. I think that I will not drive unless my friends want to rent a car also. Travel in USA is by most popular with a car, but I see European countries it is not as popular as trains and buses. So, thanks for the valuable advice and I look forward to seeing your country soon!

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

by Kodi01 Online Now Sep 4, 2003 at 4:12 AM

P.S. Sorry for the misspelling, it was 6 am here... Erkmen! :o)

• mr.kerby's Profile Photo

Re: Ephesus

by mr.kerby Online Now Sep 5, 2003 at 4:27 PM

Hi. its better if you get a bus. to izmir. also its posible to get plane thicket from istanbul to izmir. Ephesus from izmir only one 1 .30 minute Hope you will have best travel in this part of turkey. its fanthastic from mr kerby

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

by Kodi01 Online Now Sep 6, 2003 at 2:31 PM

Thank you Mr Kerby! I know I will love your country! Kathy

• Re: Ephesus

by buket Online Now Sep 30, 2003 at 10:17 AM

Hi Kathy and everyone! It seems like I missed all the conversations about my hometown Ephesus...:) Why nobody didn't remind me hmm?? Have you gone to Turkey yet Kathy? I hope to see you in Ephesus (I mean see you all) :) By the way, great thanks to Gina and Manuel for your nice words about me:) Yes, we're good example to Greek -Turkish friendship... Lastly, there are some good roads in Turkey, it's not that bad...:) So when are we going to meet in Istanbul?? !!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines