Entebbe Travel Answers

change location
ardelean's Profile Photo

travel between Entebbe and Kampala

by ardelean Online Now Sep 26, 2012 at 4:30 AM

I will arrive at 22.30 in Entebbe on Saturday. Is it safe to take a taxi to Kampala at that time or should I find a hotel near the airport? Is there a hotel near the airport.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Re: travel between Entebbe and Kampala

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Sep 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Hi
    Not a great idea to try and connect through to Kampala that night. If 22:30 is your arrival time, you'll probably have you leave yourself an hour to collect your bag and clear customs and immigration, which already puts you at 23:30 - and that's if your flight's on time.
    Entebbe and Kampala aren't far apart, but it's slow going, especially during peak time traffic. It would be faster at night, but driving in the dark's not advisable as the lighting is poor, and the chance of your taxi being involved in an accident with a vehicle, pedestrian or livestock is relatively high. I'd just bite the bullet and book a hotel near the airport (there are several, so check on a website like Trip Advisor for recent reviews).
    I don't know whether you're immediately connecting to a tour from Kampala, but if you aren't on too tight a schedule, there are a few interesting things to do around Entebbe. My husband has been there a few times on business, and was hugely impressed by his trip into the Mabamba Swamp, where he had wonderful sightings of the shoebill stork (I am still trying to forgive him for doing this on his own!). There's also the Ngamba Island Chimp Sanctuary, although I have no personal experience of this.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Cathy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • EugeneK6's Profile Photo

by EugeneK6 Online Now Oct 14, 2012 at 7:45 AM

There are lots of nice places to stay in Entebbe, and I would possibly advise against traveling on to Kampala given the late hour - although it is quite safe along the Entebbe-Kampala road, and your worries at that late hour believe it or not is the atrocious late-night drivers! I would recommend Windsor Hotel (formerly Lake Victoria Hotel)., Imperial Botanical Beach, Imperial Resort ... you really will be spolit for choice. Also, priced more modestly, is Sophie's Motel. And do not forget to pick some fine Uganda literature to read - Moses Isegawa's Abbysinian Chronicles, Doreen Baingana's Tropical Fish, Robert Bwire's Chain of Spring Love, Okot P'Bitek's Song of Lawino!
    Enjoy Uganda, home of some of the world's most hospitable people!

• coconutwireless's Profile Photo

by coconutwireless Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM

ardelean wrote:
    I will arrive at 22.30 in Entebbe on Saturday. Is it safe to take a taxi to Kampala at that time or should I find a hotel near the airport? Is there a hotel near the airport.

Aloha from Kauai I saw your  Post above. I think we will be arriving on the same flight you had, at least, we are arriving at the same time but in June. Did you decide to go into Kampala that night or stay near the airport. I will be meeting a group the following day at a hotel in Kampala and would prefer not to have to pack up the next morning and go into Kampala but rather go directly to the Kampala Hotel. But I  saw both messages on LP and VT warning about traveling at night!? Makes me apprehensive.  Would like to have you PM me about  your experience.

Mahalo

living with Aloha, the Coconut Wireless

• ardelean's Profile Photo

by ardelean Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I travelled on arrival at about midnight without problems, except that the pre-booked taxi was late to arrive. It costs about USD35 for a taxi from the airport to central Kampala. Return journeys can be slow during evening rush hour - 60-90 minutes.

1 member found this helpful

• coconutwireless's Profile Photo

by coconutwireless Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Aloha
    You answer was very helpful. Would you recommend the company that you pre booked? Or was it really to late to make you want to use them again. Curious, did you come in on KLM from Kigali to Entebbe? We are taking Delta operated by KLM from LAX to AMS and then to Kigali and from there to Entebbe.

• ardelean's Profile Photo

by ardelean Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM

It was done through a travel agents, whose name I have forgotten, but there are plenty of official airport taxis that are competent.
    Yes, I travelled the same route, crossing the equator twice in one night. It is a circular flight, which returns to Ams from Entebbe. The queue at immigration is a bit irritating, but it moves reasonable quickly and luggage is cleared efficiently. The exchange rate at the airport is similar to that in town, unlike many airports.

• wandivn's Profile Photo

by wandivn Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 6:15 AM

I would recommend that if you are travelling at night first book a hotel in Entebbe. There lots of Hotels near Entebbe Airport. Am sure you will be spoilt for choice, however if you feel that you'll need to get to Kampala urgently, it is also possible and safe too. At that time of the night you only spend about 30-40 minutes to reach Kampala. For booking agents i recommend http://www.wildadventures.ug/ they can help with bookings and transportation

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines