Ennis Travel Answers

change location

Ennis-Burren area

by romavick Online Now May 30, 2006 at 9:53 AM

Hi. My friend and I are planning our trip to Ireland for this summer. I want to make sure that I don't miss the Burren area, including Cliffs of Moher. We will be coming from Killarney or Dingle (not sure yet). I was wondering if Ennis is a good town to use as a home base for a day or two to visit the Cliffs and Burren area. Or--should a different town be used. We'll have three days in Galway, but one of those is probably going to be an Aran Islands day....
From Killarney, we are still not sure about where to go next--Dingle? Tralee? Ennis? Our main priority is to not lose days on a bus as we get to the next spot....

Any words of advice? Thanks!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

RE: Ennis-Burren area

by vtveen Online Now May 30, 2006 at 10:20 AM

Hi
    We stayed in Lisdoonvarna, just between the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren. I think Ennis is a little bit far away. if you are coming from Dingle or Killarney you can take a ferry to cross the River Shannon.
    Dingle Peninsula is great to visit.
    But I can not say anything about public transportation.

happy travels
    jaap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • orlikins's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Ennis-Burren area

by orlikins Online Now May 31, 2006 at 7:18 AM

if time is tight, you can go straight from Killarney to Ennis, via Limerick City. Ennis is too far away as a base for the burren, if you have no car, why not consider the local villages?

• C&JTay's Profile Photo

RE: Ennis-Burren area

by C&JTay Online Now May 31, 2006 at 9:43 PM

Doolin is a choice inbetween Dingle/Killarney and Galway. It's a very small town- 3 GREAT pubs, but not much else. It's in the heart of the Burren. I loved this town, so I would reccomend at least a look into it. Sea View house is a good B&B if needed (http://www.ireland-doolin.com/). Walking distance to everything... including a ferry to the Aran Islands.

• RE: Ennis-Burren area

by romavick Online Now Jun 4, 2006 at 12:22 PM

thanks for the replies/advice.
    I think we have decided to go from Killarney to Doolin... I had wanted to avoid a long day of travel, but based on the rest of our itinerary, this will be our only "long" day of transport.

thanks!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines