Ennis Travel Answers

change location

Ennis

by mmagic Online Now Jan 30, 2006 at 11:05 AM

I will be in Ennis the 2nd week of February. I have my hotel planned and will be walking around the town. I am doing research and would like to get to Ennistymon and Lahinch. I am not renting a car, so I would appreciate any suggestions on the least costly way to travel. If there is a tour that would go to the Burren and Doolin that would also be of interest.

Any other suggestions about things to do, places to eat are welcome. Thanks

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Buckz's Profile Photo

RE: Ennis

by Buckz Online Now Jan 31, 2006 at 9:38 AM

Ennis is great for places to eat and drink, explore and you won't be disappointed. There are local buses connecting Ennis to other towns in the area, but few have websites (hopefully someone will correct me and give you a link) For general information try http://www.shannonregiontourism.ie/ which should have everything you need. Doolin is nice, but there isn't a huge amount there if you are not going to the Aran islands. The main sights are the Cliffs, the Cave and the Burren, and you should be able to get a tour to take in all 3. E-mail the hotel- they should have info. If possible link up with a walking tour of the Burren- there is no other way to see it.
    Due the the nature of the terrain, the burren was very good for year round grazing, and so in ancient times the farmers there were wealthy. Modern day wealthy folk invest in their future, this was not an option back then, and life expectancy wasn't great, so the important thing to invest in was your passage to the Afterlife. THe wealthy farmers of the burren invested in their future- the afterlife by building elaborate tombs, and many of these remain. Most walking tours of the Burren show you some of these, and the bizarre nature of the landscape.

Back then a Dolmen, now a pension...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines