England Travel Answers

change location
SandiM's Profile Photo

Choosing a tour company--Bath & Stonehenge

by SandiM Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I need help narrowing down my choices for a tour to Stonehenge and Bath. We are staying in London (hotel is booked!) and we want to visit Stonehenge and then we want at least 3 hours in Bath to see the Baths and take photos of the town (mainly, Pulteney Bridge). Then we want to be taken back to London. I see Anderson Tours and Premium Tours and Golden Tours all offer this type of tour, but I think Golden Tours only lets you have 2 hours in Bath (not enough time, unfortunately). Also, we want to do this on Easter Sunday. Any suggestions/opinions on the best company for the best price/experience for both Stonehenge and Bath with as much time in Bath as possible? We do have to start from London, and we don't care if it's raining etc. We want to be 100% guaranteed to go (can't change the date).

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Re: Choosing a tour company--Bath & Stonehenge

by smirnofforiginal Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 1:41 PM

If you can get a tour to Avesbury, rather than Stonehenge - much better and bigger and you can wander through them and touch them. Thus much said, I appreciate Stonehenge is iconic and therefore a 'must see'

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM

My son lived in Bath for many years as a student.It is one of the biggest tourist attractions in the UK so will be particularly crowded on Easter Sunday. I say that because I know you are keen on taking photographs and unless it is pouring down there will be hordes around Pulteney Bridge.

• SandiM's Profile Photo

by SandiM Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Ok but I need to choose a tour company--Premium tours or Anderson Tours or...? Paying around 55pounds....there's too many mixed reviews for both companies so need to choose the lesser of 2 evils here....

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Have a look at the first great western website - they offer tours to Bath by train.

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Sorry I can't help you with the tour companies - being "local" just an hour or so away I usually just drive there.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I have been with Premium tours and Golden Tours(never tried Anderson) but I forget which one I used for Bath and Stonehenge... but we did get into the inner sanctum at Stonehenge and walked in and out and touched the monument.....the tour advertised that we would have access in the brochure we found at our hotel.

Depending on the size of the tour group one of the companies uses a minibus....and I forget which company either Premium or Golden and that was not comfortable.(That experience was to Stratford on Avon)

Both Premium and Golden picked us up either at our hotel or one close but when you arrive back in London you may not be so lucky. I had to walk from Marble Arch back to Bayswater.

So I was happy enough with both of these companies (Premium and Golden) but I have no info on Anderson.....My choice was based on the tour we wanted on the day we wanted.

• PhilTheBus's Profile Photo

by PhilTheBus Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Premium tours looks like it might be more suitable as they advertise "Stonehenge and Bath, with all afternoon in Bath" . They use big coaches, not minibuses.

However, both Premium and Anderson are large companies that are doing these tours every day. so I would book the one with the best itinerary tor you, rather than worrying about a person's experiences on one particular day.

Phil-the-Bus

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular England Travel Answer Locations