England Travel Answers

change location
Carluchita's Profile Photo

Need Cellphone data plan for a Month

by Carluchita Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Hi, I will be traveling to England and Scotland for 3 weeks and would like to get a temporary data plan to be able to use my Iphone for GPS, Internet search, etc while on the road. Do you have a good and not expensive carrier that you can recommend to use only for 3 weeks? If so, where can I get it from?

Thanks so much!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • cubsur's Profile Photo

Re: Need Cellphone data plan for a Month

by cubsur Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 4:22 AM

There are more cellphone tariffs than stars in the sky. It is often very difficult to figure out which is the cheapest for a given situation and I used to do it for a living!

Every High Street and shopping centre has shops of the various mobile phone operators. Unless you are happy to wear shoe leather, just go into the first one you find and ask for their choices. if they offer something you are prepared to pay, the go for it.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Carluchita's Profile Photo

by Carluchita Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Thanks for your advise. I was hoping to buy the sim car and activate it before getting to the UK so I don't have to deal with it while traveling with a 2 year old boy that is very active!

I was hoping to find something like Net10 that I use here in the US. They use AT&T towers and only charges $50 for unlimited data plan and calls and the reception is the best. Is there something like that in the UK that you know of?

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Not really something I know about. I have a UK phone and 3G SIM for when I go there that I keep alive and a Portugal SIM for when I am here. That avoids the extremely high network roaming charges. (Imagine if every state had its own networks and you will get the picture!)

I think buying a SIM outside a country and expecting it to work is always slightly risky.

Cellphone shops are every where in Europe and buying a UK SIM for use when you get here (provided your phone is unlocked and UK compatible) is a swift and painless process.

• Carluchita's Profile Photo

by Carluchita Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I found one called lebara mobile. I'll see if I can give them a call tomorrow. They are in the UK but maybe they can mail me the sim card.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular England Travel Answer Locations