England Travel Answers

change location
SabrinaFair's Profile Photo

Where are the best family-friendly beaches in the south of England?

by SabrinaFair Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Looking for not-so-crowded, not too touristy beaches in the south of England for my trip next May. We will be travelling from Bournemouth, along the coast all the way to Dover. Thanks in advance! :-)

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Where are the best family-friendly beaches in the south of England?

by leics Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I can't make any specific recommendations because that is one section of UK coast I don't know very well. So I'm bookmarking, in a way, to get suggestions and ideas for when I make an exploration.

But all UK beaches are 'family-friendly' except (I suppose) the very few nudist beaches we have dotted around the place. Whether they are crowded or not will depend entirely on the weather...if we are lucky enough to get warm sunny weather (ha!) and it's a weekend then yes, some may be busy. But on weekdays, outside the school holidays (which most of your trip will be) you won't find any to be actually crowded, especially if you make the effort to walk a little way away from the beach centre.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'touristy' but beaches themselves rarely have activities: thse tend to be on the sea-front, where they exist. Beach & sea-front areas in larger settlements, such as Bournemouth and Brighton, can be very busy if the weather is good (I have been to both, although decades ago) but really not what I would call 'touristy'...except that Brighton is a popular day-trip from London for visitors.

You are more likely to want to walk and explore on a UK beach than sit and soak up the sun. That's simply because of our weather (windbreaks are common sights on UK beaches!) although you may be lucky enough to hit some warm sunny days. Fingers crossed!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

by taurean_traveller Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Bournemouth is a very nice sandy beach and in May not likely to be "too touristy" Brighton is one of my favourite places and is likely to be busy most of the time as Leics pointed out it is a haven for one day trips,with all it's touristy attractions. It's beach is pebbly but none the less popular. It does depend on what you mean "family-friendly. If you are in a car and drive along the coast road,you can easily divert to many of the beaches that small towns and villages have.At that time of the year not likely to be crowded,and yes the weather will have a big bearing as to wheteher crowded or not.

1 member found this helpful

• DaveG0906's Profile Photo

by DaveG0906 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Further along towards Dover there is Camber Sands near Rye. It is a lovely sandy beach, one of the few in this area, which covers a large area. Great for long walks. If the weather is good at this time of year it will get very busy, as there is limited parking nearby. Another beach is at Eastbourne, which is quieter than Brighton.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 2:51 AM

I only been to Brighton, so it was fine for a northern beach lol!!!

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Littlehampton is a nice, small town - not too far from the Brighton area. It has some very nice beaches and it's not touristy at all. There's a good beach cafe where we had a delicious lunch one day.

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo

by zadunajska8 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Obviously I'm biased as I live here but I think you could do much worse than Eastbourne's beach. It's certainly quieter than Brighton (and the quietest area is to the East of the Pier, which also has more of the attractions aimed at families with children) and Eastbourne has what I think is the tidiest and best maintained urban seafront in the UK.

2 members found this helpful

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 5:41 AM

I would mention Hastings which has a nice beach and the town itself is an interesting place. This tip (if I can add it here on the new system) gives details and also indicates there is a specific child-friendly section of the bach.

visit1066country.com/attract...

It also mentions nearby places. I have a small Hastings page here (again if I can link it).

Hope this assist,

fergy.

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Obviously, I got one out of two links which shows I am improving! Hopefully, my second one is here.

"A fine seaside town." - Hastings by planxty

I will get to grips with this new system soon, I promise.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular England Travel Answer Locations