El Viejo

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Bus travel San Jorge to San Carlos

Nicaragua Jan 24, 2015 at 2:00 PM

Is there daily bus travel from San Jorge to San Carlos? I will be on Ometepe and want to go to San Carlos, down the Río San Juan and return to Granada. Are buses frequent, daily?

more
    • Karlie85's Profile Photo

Finalizing seven-night itin, thoughts please

Nicaragua Dec 30, 2014 at 6:41 PM

My husband and I will be travelling to Nicaragua for one week in March - arriving midday on a Saturday and leaving midday the following Saturday - six full days/seven nights total.

We are trying to come up with an itinerary so that we can book accommodations in advance. We would definitely like to stay in León, hike a nearby volcano and either do a day trip to Las Peñitas or possibly stay there for one night. We are also interested in several sights around Granada, but we are not interested in Granada itself at all. We've done a lot of reading and based on our past travel experience, it doesn't sound like somewhere we need/want to spend any time in.

Here is exactly what we would like to do:

Around Granada

- Kayak around Las Isletas

- Go for a dip and relax in Laguna de Apoyo

- Visit Volcán Mombacho and do one of the hikes

León and Around

- Explore the city, see the cathedral and art gallery

- Relax in the city (cool bars/cafes)

- Hike/day trip to one of the nearby volcanoes

- Get a good amount of beach time at Las Peñitas (try surfing lessons, relax on beach)

- Possibly stay one night at Las Peñitas to be able to fully relax and enjoy the sunset

Given the time that we have (7 nights, 6 full days, and two half days), how would you suggest we split up our time? How long will we need in Granada to see those specific things? Should we use Granada as a base or should we be staying somewhere else, possibly at one of the accommodations at Laguna de Apoyo?

We want this to be more of a mellow trip so don't want to spend all of our time moving between destinations (even knowing that the distances aren't long).

Thank you very much!

more
    • rizame's Profile Photo

Nicaragua Route- Advice Anyone??

Nicaragua Dec 31, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I am travelling to Nicaragua mid January, solo female,my flight arrives late so I have arranged hotel with pickup in Managua and I plan on doing the typical gringo trail.My question is this - do I
      -A- stay overnight in Managua,next day take microbus from UCA to Leon (safe?) then make my way to Grenada , Omepete, SJDS .... or
      -B- when I arrive at airport go straight to Grenada to overnight,then do Omepete, SJDS, Leon........also keep in mind I want to hit up Corn islands and wasn't sure when I should do that....right away after arriving or later on in trip?I have 28 days total to burn.
      Thanx Aimee

more

Near El Viejo