El Segundo Travel Answers

change location
julia687's Profile Photo

area information

by julia687 Online Now Mar 1, 2006 at 12:47 PM

I am staying in El Segundo at the Hacienda for a total of 3 nights in June, I'll be by myself and won't have a car. Am looking for any information you can give me on the local area and public transport. I would like on one day to get in to central LA & do the touristy bits. Also could you give me idea's for the cost of eating & drinking.

Thanks very much for your help!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

RE: area information

by Roadquill Online Now Mar 1, 2006 at 2:41 PM

You are sort of by LAX, so you should be able to get over to the shuttle that connects you to the metro.

Use the metro planning at http://www.mta.net/default.asp to get an idea of what you have to do to use public transportation in LA. It provides for both the underground train/ above ground train and bus system. Not terribly efficient, but once you get to the underground train you can at least hit downtown, Hollywood and Universal. The only things downtown that are touristy are the music / entertainment venues such as the Disney Hall (music), the Dorothy Chandler (music/ballet), the Forum (plays)the Ahmanson (plays, musicals) or head to Olivera Street, or Museum of Contemporary Art across from the Disney Hall. At mid Wilshire, (Wilshire and La Brea) there is the LA County Museum of Art and the La Brea Tar Pits (which is very exclusively LA). In West LA, a mile N of Wilshire on Sepulveda is the Getty Museum.
    As to eating, you can grab a hamburger and fries from any one of the millions of fast food places for3. Sit down lunches/dinners at coffee shops like Coco's or Denny's, will run from6 to12. Mexican and Oriental food places you can get a good meal for less than10. Of course, it is easy to spend30 to40 for dinner at a nice place. Most grocery stores have deli's where you can get a filling sandwich or a large salad bar for less than6. Have a great time when you are here.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Grantman's Profile Photo

RE: area information

by Grantman Online Now Mar 2, 2006 at 2:30 PM

To or from LAX and Downtown, the fixed price for a taxi is40. The Hacienda is ok and there's a very good Ralph's market across the street that is open late. Buses run south on Sepulveda Blvd., take it to Manhattan Beach Blvd., get off the bus and walk west (to the right) and it's maybe 1.5 miles to Downtown Manhattan Beach with plenty of good bars, restaurants & nightlife ranging from8 burgers & bar food to expensive Italian food. A cab from Hacienda to MBeach would probably be12-15. Shelback's Tavern on the beach at the end of MB Blvd. is inexpensive, friendly, and decent cheap tacos, burgers. You could take a quick3 cab ride into Downtown El Segundo, but it's pretty quiet, the only bar I like is The Purple Orchid a block west of Main and a half block north on Grand.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines