El Paso Travel Answers

change location

Is El paso safe for women

by genie11 Online Now Jan 2, 2007 at 6:22 AM

Hi im a young lady ,im moving to el paso to be with my fiancee in a few months , im from australia and never been there , im a little concerned about my safty as ive heard alot of dangers in el paso with rapes and things . i was wondering if u could let me know of some of the dangers and tips to stay safe, would be much appricated.. thankyou

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

RE: Is El paso safe for women

by bocmaxima Online Now Jan 2, 2007 at 7:24 AM

El Paso is not much more dangerous than most American cities its size. It's not overly safe to walk around on the streets in quite a few areas, but you will be fine if you're staying in your car, and El Paso is a car-centric city anyway. El Paso has unfortunately experienced a lot of urban flight, so many areas near the center of the city are generally unsafe save for maybe Downtown itself (except at night) and Sunset Heights. The area immediately surrounding UTEP is also decent but, again, probably not at night.
    Across the border in Juarez is much more dangerous, especially for women. If you do cross the border alone, don't do it at night. I wouldn't even go over there alone until you get used to and comfortable with the town.
    hth

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Survivor007's Profile Photo

Re: Is El paso safe for women

by Survivor007 Online Now Mar 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM

First DO NOT GO TO JUAREZ. It hapens to have recieved the title of the most dangerous city per capita in the world. El Paso however was just recently named the safest city in the country (per its relative size). I think we only had 8 murders last year but unfortunatly we are experiencing bit of a spill over from Juarez. Check out www.ktsm.com for news and current events. Rapes? I am a news junkie and have not heard of any recent rapes. This is a military town, God Bless them! and a Colege town with proud people, kind, friendly and a bit poluted but hey what city of this size isn't? If you want to stay safe, Don't go jogging by your self in a 2 piece swimsuit ( I can't spell beekiiniii :)). Just be aware of your surroundings and follow good common sence. El Paso has been associated with Juarez and thus the unwarrented sense of danger. Don't worry your fiancee will protect you, if you ever need protecting. Please don't laugh at my spelling :)

Relax, you'll be just fine!

• calebtucci's Profile Photo

by calebtucci Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 6:55 AM

When I was a soldier I was stationed in El Paso in 2009 with my wife... As a rule of thumb I wouldnt go out for long walks by yourself after dark. My wife never had any problems except a few catcalls from some young guys in a parking lot after dark... Also as every one else said stay at of Juarez. As a military soldier they passed a rule that we couldnt even go to juarez because the chain of command thought it was too dangerous.. If you do travel to mexico take some one with you who is from there. Also the fact that you are worried about your safety probably means you will be absolutely fine! Its the young naive people who go out drinking then end up alone in some strange part of town that usually end up becoming victoms.. I am sure you will be fine! You can look forward to beautiful sunsets. Good Mexican food, and a city thats super easy to navigate. Have a great safe time!

• calebtucci's Profile Photo

by calebtucci Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 6:55 AM

When I was a soldier I was stationed in El Paso in 2009 with my wife... As a rule of thumb I wouldnt go out for long walks by yourself after dark. My wife never had any problems except a few catcalls from some young guys in a parking lot after dark... Also as every one else said stay at of Juarez. As a military soldier they passed a rule that we couldnt even go to juarez because the chain of command thought it was too dangerous.. If you do travel to mexico take some one with you who is from there. Also the fact that you are worried about your safety probably means you will be absolutely fine! Its the young naive people who go out drinking then end up alone in some strange part of town that usually end up becoming victoms.. I am sure you will be fine! You can look forward to beautiful sunsets. Good Mexican food, and a city thats super easy to navigate. Have a great safe time!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines