El Paso Travel Answers

change location
Kellyd543's Profile Photo

Tell me all you can

by Kellyd543 Online Now Jan 28, 2006 at 4:22 PM

My husband has accepted a job in El Paso so we are definetly Texas bound this summer.

I have been scouring the internet about El Paso ever since we got the news. I've read a lot of negative stuff about El Paso, but I have heard some good too.

I am really interested in people's advice and opinions about El Paso. Places to go, things one should know about the area, favorite hang outs etc.

Thanks in advance...and no matter what, I am determined to find the good in El Paso!!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Foxfire0-0-7's Profile Photo

Good and Bad

by Foxfire0-0-7 Online Now Jan 28, 2006 at 4:44 PM

Kelly,

I am from Buffalo, NY and have lived all over the world. My wife is from West Texas (near San Angelo) and we have been to El Paso (Fort Bliss) a few times. There are good and bad things about the area. Great cost of living, great housing, good travel location, VERY HOT summers, (can be very dusty too)GREAT winters, crime rate is high in some parts of the city and surrounding areas but there are also some very nice neighborhoods. It has been a long time since we were there but I don't think too much has changed. Life is slow there, very relaxed with mostly nice people. We are in Germany now (I work for the Government) and hope to go to San Antonio when we leave here. Best of luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kellyd543's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Tell me all you can

by Kellyd543 Online Now Jan 28, 2006 at 8:21 PM

Cool..thanks for your help....I am Buffalo NY too!!!

• ridermirv's Profile Photo

RE: Tell me all you can

by ridermirv Online Now Feb 1, 2006 at 10:14 AM

Hi Kelly,

I love El Paso, but if your from New York it will be a huge culture shock for you.

El Paso is a very prety city, with a low cost of living. It's in the Chihuahuan desert, so it's very dry. Summer days are hot, but nights are cool. Winter is not bad, with an occasional snow.

Being on the border, there is some crime, but I have personally never felt unsafe there. On the other side of the river is Cuidad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico. This can be a rough town, but it's certainly not as bad as the rumors you here. Juarez has some lively night life and great restaurants. El Paso has both as well.

As far as places to go, things to do, etc..., it depends on what your into. El Paso is a fairly large city of about 500,000 people. Juarez is the 4th largest city in Mexico, and has over 1 million people, so there is something for everyone.

Happy trails,

Marc

• Kellyd543's Profile Photo

by Kellyd543 Online Now Feb 1, 2006 at 9:07 PM

Thanks ridermirv...

When I initally read all the negative stuff about El Paso being dangerous I wondered if it was all true. And tried to think of all the variables that affect ones opinion of a place. So I went and looked up Buffalo NY, (home sweet home) to see what people were saying about the Queen City.

Well according a lot of people, one is taking thier life in thier hands visiting Buffalo. I have never felt unsafe here and I have lived all over this city. Im not saying that everyone is being a cry baby and certainly I am comfortable because Buffalo is my home town...but generally I try to take the negative stuff like a grain of salt. I hope Im coming through here, lol.

Im really concerned about speaking spanish...Im worried I wont be employable without it. I am committed to learning though. Okay enough of me.....Thanks for your advice...

• voyager37's Profile Photo

by voyager37 Online Now Feb 24, 2006 at 12:31 PM

hi,
    I'm from El Paso, and although I have not lived there in 5 years, little changes over time. True, there is crime, it's hot, it's in the middle of nowhere, but if you are set on going there, make the best of it. I do agree most people are friendly, juarez is a walk away, there is carlsbad caverns, cloudcroft for camping. In the way of culture, in my opinion not too much, some museums, sports events, shows, but there could be more considering the near perfect weather year round.
    Depending on where you job will be, the west side is an excellent area to find a house to live in. good luck and let us all know what you think of it.
    rich

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines