El Calafate

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Car Rental

by 3barbel Online Now Mar 29, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Has anyone tried ON Car Rental for a 4X4?

3 Answers Mar 29, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    • Best way to travel from Trelew to El Calafate?

by Lynne89 Online Now Mar 4, 2014 at 6:43 AM

what is the fastest and most cost effective way to get from Trelew to El Calafate?

5 Answers Mar 14, 2014 at 10:31 AM
    • Bus from Elcalafete to Puerto Natales

by Cardy Online Now Jan 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Hi, We are trying to find a bus service that leaves from Elcalafete to Puerto Natales on a Sunday and have't been successful. Does anybody know any bus company that travels every day.

3 Answers Jan 13, 2014 at 11:48 PM
    • El Calafate Road conditions in October

by holapeso Online Now Jul 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Hi... I was wondering what the road conditions would be like in early October. Planning on renting a car from El Calafate & driving to El Chalten & surrounds. Do car rental companies provide chains if required??? Thanks for your help.

1 Answer Jul 11, 2013 at 5:27 AM
    • BellaS28's Profile Photo

How to get from Calafate to Mendoza

by BellaS28 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM

We want to get from Calafate to Mendoza and would much rather fly as the 45 hour bus journey from BA was horrendous but the flights are all really expensive. We are looking at maybe flying somehwere closer then taking a bus or the other way round but are unsure of a route. Does anyone know a feasable flight/bus route or any cheap airlines we can use??

2 Answers Mar 25, 2013 at 1:51 AM
    • Tickled_Pink's Profile Photo

Is travel to El calafate in April viable? Other landmarks to visit?

by Tickled_Pink Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM

hi there

WE are considering a two night, three day stay in El Calafate. We would mainly like to see the Perito Moreno Glacier. I have come to understand that we can stay in El Calafate and do day trips from there. Is this the best way to see the region?

* Is travel at the beginning of April a good time to visit this region?
      * what is the average temperature
      * What other sites are recommended to visit
      * Is the cruise to Upsala, Onelli andSpegazzini glaciers recommended?
      * If we sail the northern arm of the ARgentino lake towards Upsala, do we still overnight in El calafate

1 Answer Mar 9, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    • robverner's Profile Photo

Cycling

by robverner Online Now Oct 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I'm interested in a cycling tour (lead) from El Calafate to Torres De Paines in Feb 2012. Rob

1 Answer Oct 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    • lodging and activities on my own

by JUDITHGRUENEWALD Online Now Jan 9, 2012 at 12:07 PM

We are 2 women & will stay in el Calafate
      14 - 19/February/2012 departing the 20/02. That makes 6 nights & 7 days.
      We would like to visit the region:
      Los Glaciares Park, TDPaine, take a catamaran trip to all possible glaciars
      that are advertised on the Internet.
      Since the lodging is so expensive & public transportation apparently not very good:
      Does it pay to rent a car?
      Could we save money from the rental taking the car only for 5 days, since first
      and last day we need only transportation from and to the airport?
      Are they car rental agencies in Calafate? are they reliable? I hear that sometimes you might reserve a 4X4 and get a very small car instead, is it true?
      Would know how much does a taxi from the aiport to the center in El Calafate cost?
      I would appreciate any tips you could offer.
      Cordially
      Judith Gruenewald

1 Answer Jan 10, 2012 at 4:51 AM
    • El Calafate to Punta Arenas on a Sunday

by dominicango Online Now Dec 14, 2011 at 11:53 PM

I am trying to arrange for transportation for my upcoming trip to the Patagonia region this February. On Sunday February 26th 8:00am I will be leaving El Chalten for El Calafate and arriving ~10:30am. From El Calafate I must arrive in Punta Arenas before 3:40am on February 27th in order to catch my flight. Is there a bus service that will leaves El Calafate in the afternoon of Feb.26th that will provide transfers to Punta Arenas before my flight Feb.27 3:40am?

If not - I was considering leaving El Chalten to El Calafate February 25th evening, however I am looking for transportation that will travel after 19:00pm as I have arranged to be on the Glaciar Grande guided tour. I would then stay in El Calafate for the night and leave for Punta Arenas via Puerto Natales or Rio Gallegos in the morning of February 26th Sunday. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Cruise4all's Profile Photo

Travelling alone

by Cruise4all Online Now Oct 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Hi,I am visiting Argentina in November 2011. I want to visit
      El Calafate but is it safe for a lady to travel all alone and
      by her self to this part of Argentina? Can any one give me some
      tips and recomend me a good place to stay.
      Thx, and regards from Holland. Alexis

5 Answers Oct 26, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    • lccc14656's Profile Photo

Local bus in El Calafate

by lccc14656 Online Now Jul 23, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Hi,

I will be in El Calafate this coming September & i'm trying to work out the best way of seeing the Perito Moreno Glacier.I will be going on the mini-trek,which is the best company to go with? Also is there a 'normal' service bus that goes to the Glacier so i can take a more leisurely detailed look around & does that bus run to a timetable.

All help & advice is gratefully received.

Kind Regards,

John

2 Answers Jul 24, 2011 at 2:42 AM
    • Buses from El Calafate Argentina to Puerto Natales Chile

by adanon Online Now Jun 20, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I'll be visiting El Calafate in late Octobe 2011 and I would like to know if there are daily buses fdrom E.C. to Puerto Natales (the specific required date is Sunday 23 October.
      Thanks in Advance
      Abraham Danon

4 Answers Oct 17, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    • After El Calafate (Torres del Paine or El Chalten)

by madniki_00 Online Now Dec 20, 2010 at 6:07 AM

Hello Everybody,
      I'm planning to visit El Calafate from 01.01 to 04.01.2011, I'm quite sure to rent a car to be free moving where I want. After visiting El Calafate I would go to visit El Chalten or Torres Del Paine. Unfortunately time is not so long and I have to choose.
      Considering distance is almost the same from El Calafate (4 hours) what should be your decision?

Thank you in advance
      Niki

16 Answers Jan 14, 2011 at 1:06 AM
    • Getting from El Chalten to Puerto Natales to catch the ferry

by Kachinafrance Online Now Nov 15, 2010 at 3:15 AM

We are taking the Navimag Ferry from Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt in early February. We have to be on board by 6pm Monday for early depart Tuesday.

We will be in El Chalten and want to know if there is a bus that would get us from El Chalten to PN in time to get the boat, or do we have to stay the night in El Calafate. I know that we can get a bus from EL CAL at 8am.

Hope someone can help. Thanks, Kachina

2 Answers Nov 30, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    • Tours for Perito Moreno glacier

by marknlim Online Now Oct 26, 2010 at 6:35 AM

Hi

I just wanted to know if you can instantly book a trip to Perito Moreno upon arriving at El Calafate?
      Or could you suggest a website that does the tour only? I went to this website that sells the tour but it also books you to a two bed hotel room ..thing is im traveling alone and will be likely staying at che lagarto hostels to be able to mingle with other solo travelers.

Thx

Mark

8 Answers Nov 1, 2010 at 1:30 AM
    • Does anyone know this travel agency? -- Agencia de Viajes

by ywu0312 Online Now Oct 15, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Hi, we will be visiting El Calafate in December, for 3 nights 4 days. We received some quotes from this travel agency: Agencia de Viajes (website: WWW.PATAGONIA-ARGENTINA.COM), price and itinerary seem to be very good. Just wondering if anybody knows this agency, and how their service is? thanks.

1 Answer Oct 17, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    • Shopping: leather and silver bracelet

by kfood Online Now Sep 7, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Hi,
      My Wife and I spend some time in Patagonia last year and visited El Calafate. One of the only things she bought from Patagonia was a leather bracelet with two silver bands on it, the bracelet linked via a loop in the leather on one end and a knot that was pushed through on the other. Very simple, but very nice. After one year she lost the bracelet and was very upset. I'm trying to locate the contact details for the shop to get her a new one for her bday.

This is fairly hard though as I can't remember the name of the shop! All I remember is that it was a small shop at the end of the shopping area off Ave Del Libertador Gral San Martin (Paseo de comersios? lots of log cabin touristy/local arty shops?!) that sold local leather and silver jewerly.

Does anyone have any idea which shop this could be and how to contact them... it's a long shot, but I thought I'd try it!

Thanks,
      kev

2 Answers Sep 12, 2010 at 4:25 AM
    • Flights from BA to El Calafate

by odin777 Online Now Jun 15, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Hello - My husband and I are traveling to BA in late November and we have been looking into flights from BA to El Calafate. We are seeing flights from350USD and up for roundtrip tickets between the cities. I know it's early but does anyone know if we should expect these prices to go up, down or should we just wait to get in country and then arrange flights? Thank you all!

4 Answers Jul 11, 2010 at 3:41 AM
    • Future Visitor

by oatyoung Online Now May 3, 2010 at 2:59 PM

What will be the most likely weather in February? When is the rainy season?

1 Answer May 3, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    • Flights: El Calafate to Punta Arenas

by fountainhall Online Now Mar 3, 2010 at 4:59 AM

This has been asked before, but not for a few years. I'd much appreciate it if anyone can give any information about flights between El Calafate and Punta Arenas in November. I am going first to the Torres del Paine National Park and then have only 2 nights available in El Calafate before getting to Punta Arenas for a flight to Santiago. It would be wonderful if there is a flight, because I understand the bus trip is about 8 hours. But I can find no information anywhere!

4 Answers Apr 16, 2010 at 5:45 AM
    • Need advice- Where to go after El Calafate and TDP

by nirdvorai Online Now Dec 14, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Hi,
      We travel with infant and rent car. We wonder what to do in 3-4 days after visit El Calafate, TDP and Puerto Natalas.

Can you please advice us?
      Regards,
      Nir

6 Answers Jan 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    • Perito Moreno Minitrekking Tour - Clothing & boots needs

by Marillion Online Now Dec 13, 2009 at 5:59 PM

My wife and I plan to go on the Perito Moreno Minitrekking Tour sometime between January 5-10th, 2010.

Does anyone know how we need to dress?

We want to avoid taking hiking boots with us. Do we need hiking boots to use the crampons or will other types of shoes/boots suffice?

5 Answers Jan 6, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    • Can we use Crampons with normal hiking shoes or do we have to use boots?

by Urbanomad Online Now Dec 2, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Hi,

I will be traveling with a group of friends to El Calafate in January and we will be ice trekking on Perito Moreno Glacier. For the trek we will have to use crampons on our footwear.

Can anyone tell us if it's ok to use crampons with these kind of shoes? These are the ones we were thinking of taking:

timberland.com/product/index...

.... or do we have to buy boots?

Thanks!

Michael

3 Answers Dec 2, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    • El Calafate, El Chalten, Torres Del Paine in 7 days

by nirdvorai Online Now Nov 20, 2009 at 1:49 AM

Hi,
      We plan to travel to the places above for about 7 days in February. We travel with an infant and plan to rent a car.
      We mostly interesting in sighting (the glacier, Torres) and short treks (2 hours top- El Chalten).

We have a few question please:
      1. Is 7 days is O.K. or is it could be too short?
      2. Is it complicate to rent a car that can enter to Chile?
      3. Consider the month we will visit the region- DO we have to book accommodation in advanced?
      4. What landscapes views can be done around Torres Del Paine by car?

If you have any other tips, please share with us.

Thanks,
      Nir

7 Answers Nov 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    • Parking Torres del Paine

by kmjmmm Online Now Nov 6, 2009 at 3:51 PM

If you rent a car to get to and travel around in Torres del Paine and stay in some of the accommodations that you must hike to. Are there places to park?
      Are there places to park at Paine Grande?
      or other hotels within the park?

2 Answers Nov 12, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    • road from el calafate to torres del paina

by hanniperry Online Now Oct 27, 2009 at 11:05 AM

We want to drive from el calafate to torres del paina (during December).
      please advise:
      1/ what is the best and short road (please write no of road) and how many Km is it more or less
      2/ the name of the border crossing point
      3/ is 4x4 car nessesary or regular car is ok also for the road

Thank you very much for help!

2 Answers Nov 1, 2009 at 3:46 AM
    • What is the Distance / Time Driving from El Calafate to Torres del Paine?

by Urbanomad Online Now Sep 22, 2009 at 3:27 AM

Hi!

Can anyone tell me what is the distance and how long in the drive from El Calafate to Torres Del Paine National Park?

Thanks in Advance,

Michael

3 Answers Sep 30, 2009 at 12:26 PM
    • Torres de Paine or El Chaten (Fitz Roy)?

by Urbanomad Online Now Sep 18, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Hi,

I will be traveling with a group of friends to El Calafate. We were thinking of spending 1 day at Perito Moreno Glacier, 2 days in the El Chaten Region (hiking in the Fitz Roy Region) and 1 day visiting the Parque Nacional Torres del Paine.

Since our time is limited we don't know if we should only focus on the Perito Moreno Glacier and the El Chaten region and forget about Torres Del Paine... or do Torres de Paine for 3 days and Perito Moreno and forget about El Chaten.

Has anyone visited El Chaten region and Torres de Paine? Which one would you choose? What region is more beautiful to visit?

Thanks!

Michael

3 Answers Nov 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    • Is it ok to visit El calafate in August?

by mandalin73 Online Now Jun 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM

I have heard that some parts like El Chalten are closed in August and am wondering if I should still book flights down to see the glaciers?

1 Answer Jun 15, 2009 at 4:00 AM
    • opps!

by jackiebarcelona Online Now May 23, 2009 at 1:52 PM

el Calafate I mean!