Re: lodging and activities on my own
- visiting TdP in one day is a long drive and in my opinion it would be better to stay for one night in the park; be aware bringing a rental car from Argentina into Chile is not easy and will take a lot of paper work.
Perhaps better book a guided trip in El Calafate.
- for visiting Los Glaciares Park / Perito Moreno glacier there is no need for a car; we did a halfday trip by a small bus from El Calafate.
- lodging: did you try Hostal America del Sur, it was always one of the less expensive ones.
- rental car: depends on what you intend to do. We only used a car for a trip to La Leona and the surrounding badlands. There is no need for a 4x4. There are several car rental agencies in El Calafate. We rented from Servi Car and were absolutely satisfied.
- taxi: we paid a couple of years ago 38 pesos; most probably will be more nowadays.
You could start reading the Travel Guide about El Calate on Virtual Tourist and member pages as well.
Be the first to rate this answer!Was this helpful?