El Calafate Travel Answers

change location

lodging and activities on my own

by JUDITHGRUENEWALD Online Now Jan 9, 2012 at 12:07 PM

We are 2 women & will stay in el Calafate
14 - 19/February/2012 departing the 20/02. That makes 6 nights & 7 days.
We would like to visit the region:
Los Glaciares Park, TDPaine, take a catamaran trip to all possible glaciars
that are advertised on the Internet.
Since the lodging is so expensive & public transportation apparently not very good:
Does it pay to rent a car?
Could we save money from the rental taking the car only for 5 days, since first
and last day we need only transportation from and to the airport?
Are they car rental agencies in Calafate? are they reliable? I hear that sometimes you might reserve a 4X4 and get a very small car instead, is it true?
Would know how much does a taxi from the aiport to the center in El Calafate cost?
I would appreciate any tips you could offer.
Cordially
Judith Gruenewald

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

Re: lodging and activities on my own

by vtveen Online Now Jan 10, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Some remarks:
    - visiting TdP in one day is a long drive and in my opinion it would be better to stay for one night in the park; be aware bringing a rental car from Argentina into Chile is not easy and will take a lot of paper work.
    Perhaps better book a guided trip in El Calafate.
    - for visiting Los Glaciares Park / Perito Moreno glacier there is no need for a car; we did a halfday trip by a small bus from El Calafate.
    - lodging: did you try Hostal America del Sur, it was always one of the less expensive ones.
    - rental car: depends on what you intend to do. We only used a car for a trip to La Leona and the surrounding badlands. There is no need for a 4x4. There are several car rental agencies in El Calafate. We rented from Servi Car and were absolutely satisfied.
    - taxi: we paid a couple of years ago 38 pesos; most probably will be more nowadays.

You could start reading the Travel Guide about El Calate on Virtual Tourist and member pages as well.

Happy travels
    Jaap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines