Egypt Travel Answers

change location
diana_renou's Profile Photo

Is this truse?

by diana_renou Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Hi, I found this text by internet and I am going to Egypt next June. Does anybody know if this is true? Many thanks for your help. diana

March 28, 2011
11:02 a.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
Truthnwisdom writes:
I have visited Egypt several times and loved it, but after my recent visit post "the Egyptian revolution" I am not sure if I want to come back ever again, unless there are some drastic changes. ( We are here now, as I write this comment by the way)

I visited Cairo, Sharm el sheikh, and Alexandria. This time around my visit to cairo felt very cold and grim. There were few things that changed dramatically. First off, The people weren't as nice and friendly as they seemed before. Secondly the tour guides at the pyramids, and Sharm ,instead of offering deals and good prices are raising prices to make up for their losses. This is a poor way to encourage tourists to come back.

I am not sure if it is just my imagination, but the amount of Garbage in the streets has increased severely. The Taxi drivers and Micro Bus drivers are driving radically and unsafely and make me and my family not want to ride in them. The Taxi's smell like Gasoline, the drivers are rude and smoke cigarettes and it is plain uncomfortable. And lets not forget a lot of cities don't turn on the Meters and overcharge. Dishonesty, deceit, and scams are the Norm.

There is no order in regards to traffic laws. there are no street light, nobody uses turn signals, and some drivers are even choosing to drive on the sidewalk ( Alexandria). These type of things might be normal to Egyptians, but unfortunately they are not going to attract much tourism.

When In Alexandria and Cairo, we did not feel safe at all. There was no police whatsoever. It was like the wild wild west. and The Egyptian people took advantage of it to the fullest by ignoring all laws and common decency.

We were so sad to see Egypt like this. It felt like it was ruined. and as far as the article where it states that a young man held up a sign saying "Egypt is a country of Safety and Security", he is sooooooo wrong. The only place we felt semi-safe was sharm el sheikh, and it has also lost its charm and appeal.

Egyptians, you need to take charge and clean up your country, follow rules, be decent, have some order, and then maybe then we will start coming back, otherwise you can forget the Euros, Dollars, and Pounds !!!!

Egypt was once great, try to make it great again !
...March 29, 2011
12:17 p.m.
Suggest removal
Reply to this post
broseforgeorge1 writes:
I have been to Egypt but I would not go back its not safe any more and the people are not friendly like before its dirty there and the taxi drivers were so rude and ugly one groped my sister while helping us with our luggage they charge double the prices there is still alot of violence and women are treated horribly there not a nice thing to see its just the same and we will never go back it was not what we expected dont waste your money on this dirty and unfriendly and unsafe country go to Paris or Germany at least the men are sweeter there

Read more: vcstar.com/news/2011/mar/27/...
- vcstar.com

Quote & Answer
22 Answers
  • TheLongTone's Profile Photo

Re: Is this truse?

by TheLongTone Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Drivers not using their indicators? Truly the world has come to an end. If this is a problem, I wouldn't advise the writer of this self-pitying whinge to leave their house, let alone their home country.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Let's not forget that Egypt is going through a period of transition. There is a release from over-control by the former government and a certain amount of pent up emotions.

There is not a country in the world that has not gone through a period of adjustment following a fought for independence and freedom.

Think of it as adolescence - release from adult control but not yet fully able to exert self control..."And this too shall pass".

• ourluxor's Profile Photo

by ourluxor Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Diane,
    Here's an Egyptian answer, yes it's true, but it's not really!
    The Egypt I know hasn't changed very much since the revolution, although I can only speak for where I am; Luxor.
    Lots of the streets are filthy, that's because lots of the habits of the people are disgusting, but it's their country! Rubbish is always someone else's problem, they just throw it or drop it where they stand. Not all Egyptians are like this however, only the ones who haven't been mummified. Seemingly erratic driving, groping if the opportunity arises, cheating (if that opportunity can be engineered), just about all that the writer complains about is true, but it isn't a new phenomenon. Egyptians have been acting this way for centuries, or maybe even millennia!
    Some folk cannot abide it, and never return, others (like me) get mad now and again, but mainly just carry on regardless because there is so much here that we find to love, that these minor problems seem insignificant most of the time.

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I was in Egypt almost 20 years ago and the description would have held when we visited back then.

• stevemt's Profile Photo

by stevemt Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM

It was like that when I was there last year, not much has changed I think in a long time regarding these situations, but, if you like Egypt, you will still return.

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

by pedroswift Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 4:19 PM

except for the flashing indicators, didn't Alexander the Great make similar observations a long time ago??

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 11:30 PM

The fact that the first post could have been written about my visit in 2008 makes me think that it has either been created simply to stir the pot or that neither writer had actually been to Egypt before.

• KakapoTheParrot's Profile Photo

by KakapoTheParrot Online Now Mar 31, 2011 at 12:50 AM

The description sounds more like my first visit to Egypt 20 years ago rather than during my more recent visit, 4 years ago. Tourists were protected by a 'net' of security that I suspect has just about been removed. We had a guard with our group everywhere we went. When we queued for entrance anywhere the street vendors had to stand back and not approach us - we had to approach them. This was almost embarassing whilst waiting for a boat to Philae Island.

You have a lot of very poor people who were limited from trying to make more money by restrictions imposed by the state. I guess things will change and tourists will get charged more and hassled more. The minority of more agressive vendors may end up causing tourists to leave and go elsewhere. It's their country and I'm sure we all wish them well, however it turns out.

• timwallick's Profile Photo

by timwallick Online Now Mar 31, 2011 at 1:04 AM

egypt is a third world country, i have lived here just over eighteen years when i first came here, it was much worse then now. its far from perfect but expect to be treated very well. It sounds like the person has some motive for writting what they did. This part is just not true period (unfriendly and unsafe country)

• sheherezad's Profile Photo

by sheherezad Online Now Mar 31, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Hi Diana, I haven't been to Egypt but am replying only coz it's your post! :-)

> Drivers not using their indicators?

Welcome to MY to see this! Argh!! I think it's a "Third World Mentality" phenomenon. As is treating the environment as one's huge rubbish bin (welcome to MY for this, too!). Argh!!

@ourluxor - love your reply! :-)

@Diana - I'd say postpone your trip till things are more settled in Egypt??

I might even join you to live my dream of going down the Nile! :-)

Good luck! Cheers!

• Doctor38's Profile Photo

by Doctor38 Online Now Mar 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I would not take this post seriously. I visited Egypt more than 20 times and it has always been that way. I have NOT been to Egypt for the last 3 months but I talked to Egyptians and they are up beat about the situation and If any thing thee believe the situation is better than what it was.

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo

by TheLongTone Online Now Mar 31, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Is that the new Libyan flag you're flying, doctor? Like it.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 31, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Diana, do not take this seriously. The writing is adolesent and uneducated, - they write as if they were visiting a themepark and needed police protection from all the other people there. The things that are being stated are mostly pre-conceived issues that this tourist took there with them, and then looked to verify those preconceptions.

"....taxi drivers were rude and ugly one groped my sister...." I suppose if he had been a handsome one it would not have been so bad....

"....there is still a lot of violence...." You really think this writer actually saw that..?

"....and then maybe then we will start coming back, otherwise you can forget the Euros, Dollars, and Pounds......" Always a clear sign of ignorance when they actually believe they speak for everyone.......

Yet after all this negativity, - no police, - wild wild west, - they charge double, - lots of violence, - radical driving blah blah blah, - this writer managed to escape with her life and virtue in tact.

Don't pay any attention to this blather. Understand simply that the country is shedding it's old skin towards a new and brighter day. Instead of criticising the locals for raising prices a bit, understand that they are severely broke now due to the loss of tourists, so considering that a lot of them are barely making a living wage, now they are close to starving. This is normal.

Usually when there is a major transition in a country things will usually get a bit worse before they get way better.

by sheherezad Online Now Mar 31, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Thumbs up for your reply, Erik! :-) Well said: if one goes with a prejudiced mind, one will be prejudiced :( And it is a country in transition which needs our understanding and support :-) I've even received an invitation to visit via twitter (for my #Egypt tweets in the midst of the people's uprising) - such warmth :-) And @TheLong? It's the old Libyan flag ;-) Pre #Gaddafi :-) No political insinuation here, though, in keeping with VT's forum rules (I do that on twitter!)- just stating a fact! :-) Cheers!

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 31, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Shehe, this is not my first rodeo, - so to speak......thanks for the kind words....d:o)

by sheherezad Online Now Apr 1, 2011 at 2:15 AM

But, of course, Erik!
    There's something to be said about accepting a compliment gracefully, eh? ;-)

@TheLongTone - sorry about the ?? :(
    I was on mobile web and couldn't go back to recheck your VT name without losing my reply (which was already in progress!) :(

Cheers! :-D

• Doctor38's Profile Photo

by Doctor38 Online Now Apr 1, 2011 at 3:49 AM

Will it is actually the OLD Libyan flag. The flag was adopted during independence and was changed later on by qaddafi. The rebels are using it as there flag

by Odinnthor Online Now Apr 1, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Shehe, the "not my first rodeo" is (I think) an American wordplay, meaning I have seen these types of unrests before, some of them up close and personal. There is always an uncertain transitional period......d:o)

by sheherezad Online Now Apr 1, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Erik, darling (you told me I can call you darling, in case there's any other objection), I know 'American'! Cheers! :-)

• ashokSPB's Profile Photo

Re: Is this true?

by ashokSPB Online Now Apr 4, 2011 at 5:07 AM

This was my first travelling to egypt so i can not campare it with previous one and you shall find my experience in reply to question in forum after it which I reproduce below:

Just returned after a 11 days solo trip to Egypt covering Cairo, Aswan, Luxor and Abu Simbel. The trip was a complete success as planned and I must say it could not have been possible if friendly unknown common people there had not helped me. There was an young man who co-ordinated from counter to counter to enable me book train ticket, a no of such voluntary help I got from people there at various places. The tour costs were also less now.

I was also advised cancelling the trip by my well wishers here but I know you live only once in life and that Egypt was not under war etc so I decided to go. Last friday I was at Tehrir square and found spirit of people there with flags and slogan placard with all the snack shops there. I enjoyed the slogans, placard/flags flagging etc and was not freightened at all.

So, as per my experience there, as per situation prevailing now you should certainly travel. However if you are alone you may be approached by many people who shall try to make money from you which is common in 3rd world countries tourist places, just avoid them which I successfully did and no one took undue advantage from me.
    Cheers!
    Ashok.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 4, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Glad you enjoyed your trip...and am not in the least bit surprised that you did. :-)

• Raunchy_Poet's Profile Photo

by Raunchy_Poet Online Now Apr 23, 2011 at 4:04 AM

I was in Luxor, Aswan, Cairo from 11-18 April. It was fabulous and we felt secure. Hope you have as good a time as we did!

I have posted more here:

forum.virtualtourist.com/dis...

Steve

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Egypt Travel Answer Locations