Egypt Travel Answers

change location

Is it safe to travel to Egypt now?

by aguirre.dm Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Good morning, I am travelling to Egypt for 5 days by mid April, I would like to know if its safe or is I should cancel my trip. We plan to be at Cairo and Luxor. We will travel from Cairo to Luxor by plane. I appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Is it safe to travel to Egypt now?

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 8:09 AM

"Safe" is a relative term. Of course, the media needs to portray negative images. Keep in mind, if there are 1,000 protesters in a city of 10,000,000 in a country of 85,000,000, you can imagine that the protests are easy to avoid. On top of that, the protests are not targeting foreigners or foreign interests.

The balloon accident could have happened anywhere. And a thorough investigation is being carried out. The Sinai can have some issues, and the Egyptian government has issued a security warning for its own facilities. But this has nothing to do with tourists.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Is it safe to travel to Egypt now?

by gary99 Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I agree with the last poster. Assuming you're going as a tourist. It's a trip of a lifetime not to be missed. Get a good guide to take you around, they'll know the tourist interests.

• von.otter's Profile Photo

by von.otter Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Yes, Fluffy_bunny has it right. Travel, especially tour-group travel, in non-Western nations is done in a bubble. The group is kept in its own cocoon, shepherded from attraction to attraction. If you are traveling solo, you can easily avoid the protest spots, which, in Cairo, has been Tahrir Square. The River Nile towns of Aswan & Luxor have not made news with protests, which have targeted the government, not tourists, which working Egyptians desperately need. I believe you will be safe. Please, upon your return, share your experience in Egypt by posting photos & descriptions with us at VirtualTourist.com. Happy travels!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I agree with the others. No-one can foretell the future, of course, but there is absolutely nothing at present which would cause me any concern about a trip to Egypt, whether as part of a your group or not.

If you are travelling as part of a group tour you can be certain that the tour organiser would cancel or change the trip if there were thought to be any danger to clients.

• sachara's Profile Photo

by sachara Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I also agree with the others. I visited Egypt 9 times. Also in tense times in the 90s I travelled to Cairo and Luxor and I felt always totally safe. In my opinion it will be a pity to cancel your trip.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Fluffy and I don't always agree, but here he is spot on. Pretty much what I would have written........d:o)

• Court94403's Profile Photo

by Court94403 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 3:47 AM

I agree with everyone also. According to my sources-friends and family, you should be fine. It is probably best to away from any protests, and definitely stay away from Tahrir Square. Have a good time.

• Re: Is it safe to travel to Egypt now?

by Hooka Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 1:35 AM

yes it's totally safe...even if u want to go in to the middle of the crisis like tahris square it's safe too just take care of ur-self and try not to go forward in the 1st rows....that if u like to see what happens their and some making of history,if you arent interisted in that bcuz i know so many friends are and come to cairo spicially for this u can go to all the touristic places and it's ok there no problems...just take care of ur-self from regular accidents like roberies,etc

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Egypt Travel Answer Locations