Egypt Travel Answers

change location
rayray06's Profile Photo

Luxor or Dahab?

by rayray06 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM

So, I'm going to be in Egypt for about 10 days, 5 of which will be in Cairo. I really want to go to Mt Sinai, and maybe hang out in Dahab for a few nights, but all I see are people raving about Luxor as a must. Is there any way to do it all? If not, what do you recommend - Luxor or Dahab?

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Luxor or Dahab?

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Greatly depends on what you're looking for. If you want seaside and diving/snorkelling, then Dahab is your answer. If you want ruins, temples, graves and a Nile trip, then Luxor is your destination.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • stevemt's Profile Photo

by stevemt Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I would agree with Luxor if interested in the antiquities, temples etc. There is so much to see there apart from the valley of the kings.

Just my thoughts

STEVE 

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Definately Luxor. I never have been in Dahab so i can not coment on it, I only know is cool place for scubadiving. But if you can make it to Sinai climb Gebel Musa and visit St Catherines monastery.

• Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 7:19 PM

There's a difference in distance compared to how the crow flies. Buses to Dahab go via Sharm. That doubles the distance. While technically Dahab is closer Luxor takes less time as both buses and trains go directly there.

• rayray06's Profile Photo

by rayray06 Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 7:18 AM

hey all, thanks for your input! i don't really have a defined purpose of the trip - it was kind o last minute and is an extension of a work trip, so i'm just trying to maximize my time as much as possible. the reason for dahab is not for snorkeling, but really to climb mt. sinai and maybe do a tour of the coloured canyon. luxor, well, is more obvious. i was thinking that since i'll be in cairo for a week, i'll be able to see some pyramids and antiquities, but i guess luxor is unparalleled...

• LetGoLetFlow's Profile Photo

by LetGoLetFlow Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Absolutely Dahab!.. The scuba diving and snorkeling in Dahab which aint that much mobbed by tourist was awesome!..The Mt Sinai Climb likewise was worth doing while in Egypt. If you are up for temples and ruins, the one in Aswan is much better than that in Luxor. Have fun!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Egypt Travel Answer Locations