Egypt Travel Answers

change location
lclaudio's Profile Photo

How a foreing pay a Tour

by lclaudio Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Hi again....i have, after lot of searches, a complete Tour with a company in Egypt.....they will pick me up at the airport and they say that i shoud pay in cash for all the eight days of tour as soon as i get the transfer.... I'd like to ask folks it is normal in Egypt, because in my country its not....any suggestion of change this way of payment?

many thanks

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: How a foreing pay a Tour

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Not clear enough. They asked specifically for cash? Is this an 8 day continous tour with this operator? If so, usually you will have to pay the entire thing 30-40 days prior to the tour dates. That is normal. (Who is the operator?)

Perhaps I am not understanding..........d:o)

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lclaudio's Profile Photo

by lclaudio Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Dear Odinnthor, thank's for soon reply...i'll try make my self clear(my terrible english...eheh)

The company is reasonably recommended....HOLAEGYPTTOURS...they arranged many situations for me(transfers all over the country, day tour guides....nile-cruise, etc, along eight days....i don't know if they do all the work by themselves or contract other companies in other cities....but, the thing is, i had a e-mail from them, answering my question(how could i make a reservation-i'll be end of march in Cairo) and they told i should pay for all in cash(dont accept credit cards) on the first transfer in Cairo.....

thank's againd

Be the first to rate this answer!

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

OK, HolaEgypt is a self proclaimed budget operator. As such, you frankly hope all goes according to plan. Be flexible. A mosque on the itinerary today may be done tomorrow. An English speaking guide may not speak English.........

Usually there is an "About Us" page on a legit operators web site. It is where they tell you how they started and how long they have been in busines and if they have awards and affiliations with both local and Int'l tour associations. Whe I see an "About Us" page thst is strictly promotional, with no hint of who the operator really is, - I back off. Such is the page at HolaEgypt.

Take a look at TripAdvisor reviews of the operator.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-...

As for the cash payment on arrival, it is not that unusual on short notice bookings. there is also the issue of Egypt's law (only 10% deposit accepted), although I thought that had changed. They say to pay cash "on the transfer". This wordage is used to be able to tell you that if you need to go to an ATM for the "rest" then that will be arranged. Local rules, - and politics dictate many such things, that may not be issues in other countries.

(I was a five star tour director and did many tours to Egypt. I say this just to let you know that I do know tour operators and how they operate, fairly well.......d:o)

by lclaudio Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Ok my friend now i see,,,,i'll be in trouble,,,,i've been researching for a month....ufff....now its gonna startover.....many thank's for so helpful reply

regards from Rio

claudio

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Well let's see if I can help with the operator choice. Tell me who you look at and chances are that I may know of them.

The following is a few things I have responded to in the past. Remember my stuff was five star so a lot of this may be out of range. Still there are plenty of good local operators like Memphis for example.

• *

Egypt III plus tipping

You can do your booking on line for a cruise, or you can use a local tour operator to set you up with anything you need, whether it is a private car with driver/guide or a cruise or the trains.

First, ground services in Egypt are well established, and I suggest that you deal with a local Cairo tour operator. There are many good ones. This one I have used for my tours (as a tour manager) in the past. Always excellent. However, there are many more reliable operators.

http://springtours.com/

Most cruising is done from Luxor to Aswan or vice versa. Here are a couple of sites for you to explore. Pay attention to the one that has all the FAQ answers regarding the cruises. Some of the cruises will go to Abu Simbel as well. Most Nile cruises claim to be five star, but they really are not. These two really are five star. That said, there are many others that will do just fine although not really five star.

oberoihotels.com/oberoi_phil...

http://www.sonesta.com/Nilecruises/

Scroll down a bit on this next page for all the little things you need to know about a Nile cruise. Also a list of many different cruises at different prices. Read carefully the things regarding health issues. That means you should refrain from using any water other than bottled water, including icecubes or even avoid water in your mouth when taking a shower. That does not mean that the water is unhealthy in general, - just unhealthy for you. This is quite normal.

ask-aladdin.com/cruisetips.h...

Here are some things to know about travelling to Egypt.

travelegypt.us/thingstoknow....

Remember not to drink the water, and refrain from contact with the river water. Bring toilet paper with you. Trust me. You will thank me later....d:o)

Take a look at these websites and once you have a fair idea of what you want, come back for some specifics. Hope this helps.

Here are some thoughts on tipping in Egypt.......

Tour drivers: About LE 10-15 per day Personal guide: About LE 30-40 per day

You can add 10-15% for metered taxis, unless you have a pre-agreement on the fare. Then a tip is not necessary.

Some of the better restaurants add 10-15% to the bill but a few added percentage points on top of that is normal.

LE 5-10 for all the bags if you get help with them.

This is general of course but should give you an idea. Remember, baksheesh is a way of life in Egypt. Everyone that performs a service will expect a tip, but unsolicited help does not require the money demanded in return. Be nice, - don't be cheap, these folks do not earn much, so keep that in mind. Have fun.

• *

If you like I can make a few suggesations. Also need to add that, to be fair, - it is entirely possible and likely probable that HolaEgypt will deliver what they said, or at least an acceptable factsimile thereof. I do not know them. I simply read their site as I have learned to do over the years.

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Sorry the VT site is upgrading and still working out the kinks.

Egypt III plus tipping

You can do your booking on line for a cruise, or you can use a local tour operator to set you up with anything you need, whether it is a private car with driver/guide or a cruise or the trains.

First, ground services in Egypt are well established, and I suggest that you deal with a local Cairo tour operator. There are many good ones. This one I have used for my tours (as a tour manager) in the past. Always excellent. However, there are many more reliable operators.

http://springtours.com/

Most cruising is done from Luxor to Aswan or vice versa. Here are a couple of sites for you to explore. Pay attention to the one that has all the FAQ answers regarding the cruises. Some of the cruises will go to Abu Simbel as well. Most Nile cruises claim to be five star, but they really are not. These two really are five star. That said, there are many others that will do just fine although not really five star.

oberoihotels.com/oberoi_phil...

http://www.sonesta.com/Nilecruises/

Scroll down a bit on this next page for all the little things you need to know about a Nile cruise. Also a list of many different cruises at different prices. Read carefully the things regarding health issues. That means you should refrain from using any water other than bottled water, including icecubes or even avoid water in your mouth when taking a shower. That does not mean that the water is unhealthy in general, - just unhealthy for you. This is quite normal.

ask-aladdin.com/cruisetips.h...

Here are some things to know about travelling to Egypt.

travelegypt.us/thingstoknow....

Remember not to drink the water, and refrain from contact with the river water. Bring toilet paper with you. Trust me. You will thank me later....d:o)

Take a look at these websites and once you have a fair idea of what you want, come back for some specifics. Hope this helps.

Here are some thoughts on tipping in Egypt.......

Tour drivers: About LE 10-15 per day Personal guide: About LE 30-40 per day

You can add 10-15% for metered taxis, unless you have a pre-agreement on the fare. Then a tip is not necessary.

Some of the better restaurants add 10-15% to the bill but a few added percentage points on top of that is normal.

LE 5-10 for all the bags if you get help with them.

This is general of course but should give you an idea. Remember, baksheesh is a way of life in Egypt. Everyone that performs a service will expect a tip, but unsolicited help does not require the money demanded in return. Be nice, - don't be cheap, these folks do not earn much, so keep that in mind. Have fun.

by lclaudio Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM

My Dear, thank's for super attention...i have a schedulle, all prepared along last month, maybe can direct your suggestions,,,here it goes:Day 1 (23rd of March, Saturday): Arrival Airport transfer from Cairo International Aiport to your hotel (in Cairo or Giza). (private car with driver)

Day 2 (24th of March, Sunday) – 1/2 Day tour to Pyramids of Giza In the morning pick up from your hotel and we drive to Giza and visit the fascinating Pyramids of Cheops, Chefren and Mycerinus. Then visit the Sphinx and the Valley Temple. After the tour drive back to your hotel. Including: Private car with driver + English Speaking Tour guide Excluding: Entrance tickets, any extras not mentioned

Day 3 (25th of March, Monday) White Desert - with Private car from Cairo to Bahariya Oasis and with private Jeep in the Desert) Early morning pick up from your hotel and transfer to Bahariya Oasis by private car. Upon arrival to the Oasis, transfer to a camp-style hotel and have a small lunch before starting the Jeep tour (private jeep).We head into the vast desert and on the way you can see a hot water spring, the Black Desert, we pass through Akabat Desert with its beautiful sand dunes and visit Crystal Mountain, a large rock made of sparkly crystals. We head on towards the White Desert. Once arriving there, you can explore the often pure white rock formations, and you will camp out and stay there overnight. You are also invited for a tasty Bedouin dinner, which will be made by the camp fire. Enjoy the amazing sunset, and spend the night under the stars. Alternatively you can enjoy a dance around the camp fire; it's all up to you!

Day 4 (26th of March, Tuesday): White Desert After breakfast we spend some more time exploring the desert. We transfer back to Bahariya Oasis in the afternoon and from there you will be transferred back to Cairo by private car. Once in Cairo, transfer to your hotel.

Desert Tour Including: - Private car transfer from Cairo to Bahariya Oasis and back - Private Jeep for the tour in the Desert with local Bedouin driver - 1 night camping in the desert - Pillow, mattress and blanket for the camping - Meals: Lunch and Bedouin dinner on Day 1, breakfast on Day 2

Desert Tour Excluding: - any extras not mentioned.

Day 5 (27th of March, Wednesday): Aswan Airport transfer from your hotel in Cairo to the airport. Airport pick up in Aswan and transfer to the cruise ship to check in. In the afternoon visit Philae Temple and the famous Aswan High Dam. Overight on board.

1/2 day tour (shared tour, maximum 13 person/ group) Including: Transfer, English speaking tour guide for the sights Excluding: Entrance fees, any extras not mentioned.

Day 6 (28th of March, Thursday): Abu Simbel Early morning (at 3.30 am) you will be picked up from your Cruise Ship and be transferred to Abu Simbel to visit The Great Temple of Ramses the II and Temple of Hathor. Admire the natural beauty of Lake Nasser, then transfer back to Aswan to your Cruise. Overnight on board.

Day 7: (29th of March, Friday): Kom Ombo, Edfu Arrive to Kom Ombo and visit Temple of Sobek then to Edfu and see the Temple of Horus. Continue towards Luxor. Overnight on board.

Day 8 (30th of March, Saturday): Luxor In the morning you will be taken to see the West Bank of Luxor, including: the Valley of the Kings, the Valley of the Queens, then visit the unique Temple of Queen Hatshepsut and Colossi of Memnon. In the afternoon visit Temples of Karnak and Luxor Temple, on the East Bank of Luxor. Transfer to your hotel.

Day 9 (31st of March, Sunday): Abydos and Dendera In the morning pick up from your hotel and enjoy a day trip visiting the Temples in Abydos and Dendera. After the trip transfer back to your hotel.

thank's

• robine's Profile Photo

by robine Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM

This is what we did for a tour in Jordan a couple of years ago - payment in cash (in US$) on arrival. And no problem.

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM

When getting Cairo transfer I used Cairo International airport shuttle bus services. I paid 75 Egyptian pounds works to 7.5 British Pounds USD = 11.4 US Dollars & Euros 8.6 Euros that was 2011 prices. I have enclosed web link for update information’s.

Egyptian Museum I paid in 2011 160 Egyptian Pounds = 16 British Pounds or 24 American Dollars or 18 Euros: to see the mummies it cost 100 Egyptian pounds in 2011 = 10 British Pounds 15 USD American dollars or 11 Euros. I did the tour my self. If want pay for tour makes sure get good deal one tour man asked me 100 Egyptian pound I got him down to 50 Egyptian pound, at end I did it my self.

When get to the pyramids) you will get a lot people offer you riders just stay form say LA LA) no in Arabic) I found how was Entrée fee, I am sorry about that) when was there it open in morning and closed at 4pm I don’t if thinks have changed within last 14 months.

Taxi make sure puts the metre on and he takes with 6th October bridge is easy fast way go though Cairo) if may want to take though ring road) best good travel though 6th Oct) Ask point view on taxi driver I am sure he will tell you. Sometimes you can set your only price) he says 50 then tell him 35) if he says no walk away – he will get back 40 that will be fine too.

Remember fill out your landing card & Egyptian visa are sold at banks you will see them my advised for you guys is go the National bank of Egypt) it has best exchange rates.

I sincerely hope the information I provide helps.

Please come back VT gives us update report and holiday special taxi fairs &cost Egyptian museum in 2013 & pyramids.

I was in Cairo in Late 2011;

Have amazing trip to Cairo

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Cairo taxi information here is the link

tripadvisor.in/Travel-g29420...

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM

sorry here is the Facebook page also taxi

facebook.com/cairoairportshu...

• vdoortje's Profile Photo

by vdoortje Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 5:26 AM

tripadvisor.nl/Attraction_Re...

Just returned from Egypt the day before yesterday. I used this guide for 10 times visiting Egypt and he always gave the best service at reasonable prices. I always pay him at the end of our trip. He can do all the days of your trip, including booking your hotel. Or you can book several day trips with him. At least send him an email with your wishes.

m.bahaa2@usa.net

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Egypt Travel Answer Locations