Edmonton Travel Answers

change location
luvcruz's Profile Photo

Banff to Kalispell

by luvcruz Online Now Apr 8, 2005 at 6:38 PM

Has anybody ever driven from Banff or Calgary, Canada to Kalispell, Montanna? I am planning a vacation to Calgary in October - we are from the Bahamas. We will be driving up to Edmonton, then over to Jasper, and down through the Rocky Mountain range to Banff. I was wondering about taking a rental car from Canada to U.S., and am assuming that you probably cannot, at least not without it costing you an arm and a leg. Is there anywhere on the Canada/U.S. border you might be able to switch cars? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • AKtravelers's Profile Photo

RE: Banff to Kalispell

by AKtravelers Online Now Apr 8, 2005 at 7:03 PM

We made a similar trip nine years ago. We rented a car in Calgary and had no problems going between the U.S. and Canada. Just make sure you have all the right visas if they are necessary for your country of citizenship.

While Banff and Jasper are obvious tourist attractions, I also recommend that you make time to vist Waterton Lakes National Park and Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump, both in Alberta. Head Smashed In is a cliff where the Native Americans used to chase the buffalo to their deaths before they got horses. THere is a good museum associated with it.

On the Montana side, you shouldn't miss Glacier National Park.

In all of these places, I hope you bring your hiking boots. Wilcox Pass (Banff), the Valley of the Ten Peaks (Banff), Crypt Lake (Waterton, Logan Pass (Glacier) and the Garden Wall (Glacier) are all great hikes and there are many many more. Once you're half a mile down the trail, most of the crowds and tour busses will be behind you and you'll see some of the most spectacular scenerary and beautiful wildlife on earth.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines