Edinburgh Travel Answers

change location
MalenaN's Profile Photo

Cheap accomodation

by MalenaN Online Now Feb 12, 2005 at 2:52 AM

I’m going to Edinburgh in a couple of weeks and will stay for a few nights. I don’t want to spend too much money on accommodation and I am therefore thinking of staying at Brodie’s Backpackers Hostel or Royal Mile Backpackers. It is some time since I stayed in a dorm and I’m a bit worried it will be too noicy. What do you think of these hostels? And do anyone know of other cheap and central accommodation (not in dorms)?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

Re: Cheap accomodation

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 12, 2005 at 4:51 AM

You could try the Travelodge Centre on St Mary's Street. They often have rooms for £26. www.travelodge.co.uk - and then find Edinburgh Central. St Mary's Street leads off the Royal Mile about halfway along.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • akskibunny's Profile Photo

Re: Cheap accomodation

by akskibunny Online Now Feb 12, 2005 at 5:12 AM

Hello. I was just in Edinburgh last month and stayed at City Center Guest House. It's right on Shandwick Place, the main street coming in from the airport just below the castle so it's a great location. And, I think because of the name (guest house instead of backpackers hostel) there was less of a hostel atmosphere (quiet, no all night parties). If I remeber correctly, it was only £9. The staff was very friendly and the place was clean. I definately recommend it!! If you can't find phone/address on the net, email me and I'll look through all my brochures I brought back. Have fun... it's beautiful there!!

• akskibunny's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Cheap accomodation

by akskibunny Online Now Feb 12, 2005 at 5:14 AM

I guess I should add, I stayed in a dorm room there. I don't know if they have single rooms or not.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

by MalenaN Online Now Feb 19, 2005 at 7:42 AM

Thanks for your replies! I checked Travellodge's webpage but couldn't find any cheap accomodation. The City Centre Guest House sounded to be a good place, but finally I decided to make a reservation at Brodie's. I heard from other places that it is a nice and quite small place.

• Hobbes28's Profile Photo

by Hobbes28 Online Now Feb 22, 2005 at 10:28 PM

So how was brodie's? i'll be visiting the city early May.

RE: RE: Cheap accomodation

by MalenaN Online Now Mar 5, 2005 at 11:59 PM

Brodie's is a nice hostel. There are four rooms (dorms) and in the dorm where I stayed it was four bunkbeds, it was a dorm for only women and the room was called Trainspotting. The hostel is very clean. There is a Kitchen where you can cook (and there is also free tea and coffee) and leave things in the fridge. For ladies there are two toilets and for everyone to share there are four showers (there was never any waiting time when I was there). There is one computer and you can use the Internet for free (but of course not occupy it too long yourself). There are quite a number of longterm guests at the hostel.
    The room where I stayed must have been the coldest one, it was absolutely freezing and I got cold to the bones. It was cold outside and round the window it was a big draught.
    The price is 9.90 pounds per night.

• Hobbes28's Profile Photo

by Hobbes28 Online Now Mar 6, 2005 at 5:41 PM

thanks for the info. my concern is whether it gets roudy or if its too noisy to get some restful sleep. cheers!

by MalenaN Online Now Mar 7, 2005 at 9:10 AM

Well, the first night I stayed there I found it difficult to sleep, but guess I went to bed much earlier then others. The two next evenings/nights it was very calm and the last night somebody seemed to come back very late, and beeing to noisy for some while. The kitchen is closed during the night, so noone is there and there is no television around which people gather around.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines