Ecuador Travel Answers

change location

Dangers of living in Ecuador

by lindabass1 Online Now Mar 5, 2010 at 8:24 PM

My husband wants he and myself to move to Ecuador when I retire at the end of this year. I am really leery about leaving our home here in Texas to live in a place we do not know. Can you help me?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Dangers of living in Ecuador

by xymmot Online Now Mar 6, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Have you been there? Take a month out in life and go there and hang out with the Natives, rent an apartment for two weeks and learn the culture and see if you can adapt or enjoy your location. If you do sell everything and move. I am at the retirement age and looking myself but want my american standards from good food to a clean toilet at home, to good drinking water from a faucet. See what you may do without when you are there. Go shopping and see what grocery you may find. Do some cooking and fnd other expats that you can talk to. Yo can go to Costa Rica too, they have a lot of retirees moving there. I myself is leaning to the Far East. Have a plan before you go, and a ticket home if you do not like what you see.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Mar 6, 2010 at 9:18 AM

the first reply is really the only one; without more details, etc., how can anyone here (strangers) advise you??

we are American ex-pats living for last 15yrs in Mexico and we are quite happy and have all the mod-cons at a far lower cost than living in the US (3 toilets in our house; plus on in our garage! beautiful view across the Sea of Cortes', and acre of land 8 miles out of the nearest small town; 1 hr to the major airport; 3 groceries in town, restaurants, etc, --you can see my Los Barriles page and tips)

one of the considerations for us is to have a major airport not too far away and also not to be too far fr the USA, so I don't know what the fares or distance or ease from Ecuador would be for you, or how high a priority that is for you.

also, here, of course, we have a lot of other Americans/Canadians/some Europeans in the vicinity, who speak English, and add to the culture mix

• qaminari's Profile Photo

by qaminari Online Now Mar 6, 2010 at 2:47 PM

There are really 2 separate issues, one being do you want/need to move when you retire, and the other, where to. I would not advise anyone to move to a foreign country or specific location that they have not thoroughly researched and tested; living in a place can be very different from merely visiting. Since it seems neither of you know Ecuador, what is it that attracts your husband to the idea of living there? By all means have a trial run, but don't burn your boats, whatever you do!
    Apart from that, it isn't clear what sort of help you want. WHERE in Ecuador might you be considering?

• melosh's Profile Photo

by melosh Online Now Mar 11, 2010 at 5:04 AM

The questions: 1) Why does your husband want to move to Ecuador?
    2) What type of dangers concern you?
    3) How much bridge burning (Like selling your home?) will you need to do to make this happen?
    4) How can we help you?

Let me just address the last question: Do you want arguments as to why you should not go to Ecuador? Perhaps even reasons why you should not retire outside the USA? and discussion of all the possible pitfalls of trying to retire to a place you do not know? OR Do you need reassurance about safety and about the joys of experiencing a different culture? Reassurances about how most inconveniences of living outside the US are just that, inconveniences. Encouragement that you can find places in the world that in many ways will be like the place you know in Texas.

• Calywa's Profile Photo

by Calywa Online Now Mar 25, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I can definitely help you. I lived for two years in Quito, Ecuador and I can tell you that there are loads of expats there and it is very safe for a South American country. If you go there you just need to make sure that you join some groups and make friends.

The Damas Norteamericanas y Britanicas are a group of women (mostly older) who are expats from the US and Britain and do a lot of volunteer work together and have a library by the swiss hotel with a whole lot of English books. They also publish cookbooks and Ecuador living guides for other expats so you should definitely get into contact with them and visit their library.

As far as living goes, most expats tend to live in Quito, which is really nice because it boasts a temperate climate all year long (65 degrees-ish) so it's not to hot or too cold. Quito is large, so it boasts all the amenities of a modern day city but it also has a really small homey feel to it. And it's only a couple of hours drive from Mindo (the forest), Banos, Papallacta and the beach. I could really go on and on about travel tips and stuff but I would recommend that you go and visit for awhile before deciding to move there to see if you like it. And of course send me a message if you have any questions about the area. Good luck!!

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 25, 2010 at 7:00 PM

To Calywa, does anyone know what kind of healthcare you can get there? How do you obtain health insurance when you are living in another country? Anyone knows? Thanks for advice.

• Calywa's Profile Photo

by Calywa Online Now Mar 26, 2010 at 7:02 AM

To xymmot- yeah you can get health insurance in Ecuador. Most people only buy catastrophic health insurance there because the price of going to the hospital for regular checkups/dental/eye care is ridiculously inexpensive as compared to the US and it's just not worth it to get a plan for that. If you have insurance in the US, you can see if that can be extended to cover your time overseas or once you get to Quito, there are a ton of insurance companies so you can shop around for what you need.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 26, 2010 at 8:35 AM

To Calywa, I wish I can just drop my health insurance in the States because it is400 a month and rising. They say by the time I am 60 it will be 600USD and up per month. That is like two car payments a month. With the new laws and reforms coming into law, they say it is a requirement to have it by law. Looks like retirement might be just a dream soon.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Ecuador Travel Answer Locations