Ecuador Travel Answers

change location

road mindo to chontal

by tompy Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Is it possible to take a public bus from Mindo to Chontal ? We would like to visit the Los cedros bioreserve.
How long does it take to get there ?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • MalenaN's Profile Photo

Re: road mindo to chontal

by MalenaN Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I don’t think you can. When I visited Mindo last year I saw buses to Quito and to Santo Domingo. I went to Tulipe from Mindo (and it is closer than Chontal) and I had to change buses in La Armenia. From La Armenia there are buses to Nanegal, but looking at maps there doesn’t seem to be any roads from Nanegal on to Chontal.

Have you seen this web page: http://reservaloscedros.org/about/
    There are good descriptions there about how to go to Chontal from Quito and Otavalo. Buses from Quito to Chontal takes 3.5 hours.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 1:32 AM

reservaloscedros.org/2010/01...

I don't know much about the area but the site gives info on a new bus service, hopefully it may be helpful.

• Re: road mindo to chontal

by tompy Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:38 AM

thanks , I know the loscedros website, but in that case I first need to go back to quito and I can't get to the reserve in one day.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

by MalenaN Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM

There is an email-contact on Los Cedros web page so maybe you can send an email to ask if you can reach Chontal and Los Cedros in a better way than going back to Quito first.

If you have to go back to Quito the good thing is that buses from Mindo arrive at Ofelia and that's from where the buses to Chontal leave. But you won't be able to visit Los Cedros on a daytrip. If you take a bus from La Y, at the main road above Mindo that bus will probably go to Carcelen and you should change buses near a commercial centre to get to Ofelia.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Ecuador Travel Answer Locations