Ecuador Travel Answers

change location
miki64's Profile Photo

safety

by miki64 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I'd like to visit Ecuador but I'm asking how safe is it traveling alone and by bus if I'm going to do an itinerary like this? Quito, Latacunga, Riobamba, Cuenca, Guayaquil, Puerto Lopez , Otavalo, Quito.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: safety

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Generally speaking, petty crimes, like pickpocketing, are quite high, whereas violent crime, like murder, is at the lower end in Latin America.

Like anywhere in the world, if you keep your wits about you, you'll be fine. But 'stuff' happens everywhere. Nowhere is 100% 'safe'.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JessieLang's Profile Photo

by JessieLang Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM

There are a few areas in Guayaquil you should avoid, and some in Quito that aren't real safe after dark, but generally it's a safe country.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

by MalenaN Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I travelled alone around Ecuador for seven weeks in 2011 and for another seven weeks in 2012 and i used a lot of buses. I usually put my big backpack by my legs inside the bus and had my daypack in my lap. I met people (and have heard of others) who had put their daypacks on the floor in the bus and had their cameras stolen from it, so don't do that.

I had my camera taken from my hands in Quito when I was taking a photo, but I ran after the man and got it back.

• Richard.GVA's Profile Photo

by Richard.GVA Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I read some horror stories, but personally found Quito and Otavallo last year safe and very pleasant, also at night. Take your precautions against pickpockets and other thiefs, but this now applies to almost any country worldwide.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Ecuador Travel Answer Locations