East Timor Travel Answers

change location

Need some info on travel to East Timor

by bluedaverick Online Now Nov 16, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Hi ,everyone here. I plan to travel with my friend to East Timor on May 2011, so need u guys to give me some advice and info.

1) We booked our flight ticket to Bali but cant book the one from Bali to Dili. We plan to buy it when we arrived at Bali at that time. Is that possible and advisible for the cost? Or do i have to get some travel agent to help me pre-book the flight ticket.?

2) Any recommended budget hotel to us..? 2 person oni. We plan to have low cost in accomodation.

3) Any good spot to go around Dili? and oso some area nearby. We can have 5 to 6 days at there. I heard the place is nice for diving and have beautiful coral. Where is the place? and have any good tour guide to recommand ?

Thk u guys helps...

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • DSwede's Profile Photo

Re: Need some info on travel to East Timor

by DSwede Online Now Nov 16, 2010 at 5:09 PM

I was in East Timor earlier this year. Feel free to look at my East Timor pages for an introduction.

1) I flew from Bali to Kupang, then traveled overland to East Timor. On the return, I flew from Dili to Bali. I booked all of those flights in person at the airport in Bali. I split that route up for two reasons, firstly to see more of the country overland and to save money. Domestic flights between Bali/Kupang are cheap (~$60). The international flight to Dili was ~$175 one-way plus a10 departure fee.

2) East Timor is not cheap. Prices are inflated due to the amount of professional expats in the area working for UN, military, charities, etc. There are lots of expensive places to stay, but I have written tips on two of the best and most economical accommodations on my Dili page.

3) For some places around Dili, you should read the Dili travel pages:
    Dili Travel Guide
    Those pages and mine give write ups on places like Dollar Beach, Atauro Island, Backside Beach. I also went diving there. The locals and expats that I met all recommended the same diving outfit 'Freeflow' which I gave contact details on my Dili page.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular East Timor Travel Answer Locations