East Timor Travel Answers

change location

Eating customs

by nataliegreen7 Online Now Oct 20, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Hello

Would anyone be able to inform me on the East Timores'e Cultural eating practices.

Are there any traditions at meal time? Is it a sit down, family activity?

I would appreciate any information on this question.

Many thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • DSwede's Profile Photo

Re: Eating customs

by DSwede Online Now Oct 20, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Are you going to be dining with locals at their homes? If so, I can't speak as an expert since I only at a local's house twice, and both times it was way out in the villages. First time, only the old man of the house dined with me as his wife and family at separately. The second time, the family was all together.

The meal was small, but adequate enough being some rice and fried fish. They use silverware but depending on the food, eating with the hands sometimes too.

Dining at restaurants is just the same as any western country.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Eating customs

by nataliegreen7 Online Now Oct 20, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Thank-you for taking the time to answer this question.

I am at Queensland College of Art and our subject is focussed on bringing awareness to the Australian community of East Timorese arts and craft.

Unfortunately I am struggling to find information on any rituals in the Timorese culture that differ to average Western practices.

I have basic questions that may sound a little silly such as -
    Are meal times shared by the family?
    Is the cooking experience shared by the family?
    Is cooking primarily performed by females?
    Do locals tend to eat hand to mouth over usage of cutlery?

I apologise if my questions seem a little ignorant however I am finding it very difficult to source information over the net that is recent.

Many thanks

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Re: Eating customs

by DSwede Online Now Oct 21, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Are meal times shared by the family? - yes, unless some guests are coming, then the men may dine alone.
    Is cooking primarily performed by females? - by and large, yes, the women prepare everything
    Do locals tend to eat hand to mouth over usage of cutlery? East Timor does not use chopsticks, they do use cutlery. However depending on the dish, eating with hands is common particularly if they take food away from home. In restaurants, cutlery is always provided

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular East Timor Travel Answer Locations