East Iceland Travel Answers

change location

Viewing reindeer , wild horses

by Caperwannabe Online Now Jan 15, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Can I see reindeer or wild horses in East Iceland in January? If so, near what place? Thank u.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Viewing reindeer , wild horses

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM

It is possible to see the reindeer, but I would not count on it, mainly as it is, or will be impossible for you to get off the Ring Road and head into the interior, on the "F-Roads" which are off limits to non 4x4s, and are not recommended for anyone during the winter months.

As for wild horses, - the heards you may encounter, are not "wild" in a sense, as they do belong to someone, likely to a specific farm or farms. They are however "wild" in the sense that they may not have been domesticated yet, and are not "broken" as they say in the U.S., although back home horses were not "broken", as much as they were "prepared" for packing or riding.

I never could understand the American way of "breaking" a horse. As a teenager, I worked with horses in North Iceland, and we eh, prepared them for domestic use, which was a fairly long process, demanding a lot of patience.

During the winter months, if you do see heards, they are likely on fenced up farmland, as opposed to in the spring the horses, (and sheep..) are let loose up into the mountains, to roam for the summer months, and then they are hearded down in the fall, to be identified and seperated onto each farm in the region, usually by a certain cut in the ear or the animal, - the equivalent of "branding". (Actually, that procedure may have changed......)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Viewing reindeer , wild horses

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

It appears that Mr Parker is correct. It appears that I have grossly underestimated the re-insurgence of the reindeer in Iceland. Never thought I would hear that they were a pest.

Since Mr Parker is there now, and I am not, his take on the reindeer is more up-to-date.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular East Iceland Travel Answer Locations