Durban

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Souvenirs and Stuff Durban!

by rxahmad Online Now Apr 8, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I was interested in buying some personal items in addition to typical South Africans souvenirs from Durban. Unfortunately, I have been to two places, one is missing most of the items I was looking for and the other was a complete rip off and very touristic. Any recommendations for souvenirs and local made items will be very much appreciated. BTW, I'm in Durban!

Thank you in advance !

more
    • Souvenirs and Stuff Durban!

by rxahmad Online Now Apr 8, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I was interested in buying some personal items in addition to typical South Africans souvenirs from Durban. Unfortunately, I have been to two places, one is missing most of the items I was looking for and the other was a complete rip off and very touristic. Any recommendations for souvenirs and local made items will be very much appreciated. BTW, I'm in Durban!

Thank you in advance !

3 Answers Apr 9, 2014 at 12:51 AM
    • public transport to Sherwood

by Totila Online Now Mar 14, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Hi
      Please help me I am trying to get a bus that goes to Sherwood in Durban.

1 Answer Mar 25, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    • Loxley14's Profile Photo

Hiring a driver from Durban airport

by Loxley14 Online Now Jan 1, 2014 at 4:31 AM

Does anyone have any advice regarding hiring a driver from Durban airport to Kosi Forest Lodge? It will be for a family of five. Could drive but not safe I'd rather enlist the help of someone who knows where they are going and get us there without being car-jacked.

Thanks.

2 Answers Feb 19, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    • BridgetteN's Profile Photo

Adapters for elecronic devices and clothing for travel to Durban in South Africa.

by BridgetteN Online Now Nov 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Is an adapter available available to purchase in the US?Any quick tips on the most important things to pack for Durban weather in November?Thanks!!!!!

6 Answers Nov 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    • nomsamasuku's Profile Photo

Seaboard Hotel & Holiday Apartments

by nomsamasuku Online Now Oct 15, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Goodday, I want to know whether Seaboard Hotel & Holiday Apartments is a good place for first time visitors to Durban. We are trying to accommodate 3 families who are on low budget.

3 Answers Dec 6, 2013 at 12:24 AM
    • safe to drive after dark?

by Jen.Ramsbottom Online Now Oct 1, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I am visting south Africa next September and need to get from durban to near hluhwe in the evening (i.e. in the dark). Is it safe/sensible to hire a car and drive?
      Any advice appreciated!

1 Answer Feb 19, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    • inforinnocent's Profile Photo

which is the best place

by inforinnocent Online Now Sep 27, 2013 at 3:08 AM

which place is the best place to be in Durban in South Africa?

7 Answers Sep 27, 2013 at 5:47 AM
    • Transport to Transnet Training centre in Solomon Mhlango

by zpjnqrx Online Now Sep 12, 2013 at 2:25 AM

I am looking for a bus that leaves from Durban taxi rank at about 6,25 am and will take me to Edwin Swales drive , now known as Solomon Mlango. I need to be at the Transnet Training Centre to start work by 7am. Is there any direct transport from Westville To the Bluff. Regards Maggie maustin@telkomsa.net

1 Answer Sep 19, 2013 at 5:20 AM
    • How long needed in Durban (+ meeting family)

by GarethMorkel Online Now Aug 7, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Hi,

I'm a South-African born Australian returning to South Africa for a month and for the first time ever (left when I was 2 years old). I was born in Durban but feel bad that I am only going there for 3 and 1/2 days. I am instead spending the majority of the holiday in Cape Town, the Garden Route and the Drakensberg (and a little of Joburg). I've only given myself about 3 and 1/2 days for Durban - do you feel this is enough even though I'm catching up with some family there?

I've got a few relatives to catch up with which might take some time, otherwise I'd just like to see a bit of where I come from and need to know if I'm not spending enough time there!

Thanks for any help,

kind regards,

Gareth

11 Answers Aug 29, 2013 at 2:12 AM
    • From Durban to Manguzi

by Aimeelifson Online Now Aug 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Hello! This is very late notice, but a friend and I are travelling to Durban next week Sunday and need to get to Manguzi that same day where we will be starting a medical elective at the hospital. We had originally thought we could get a lift up with one of the doctors but I'm not sure if its possible anymore. Do you have any suggestions on the best route of transport to get there? Hiring a car seems expensive, especially because it will not be a 4x4 so we wouldn't be able to use it to travel to Mozambique during the time we are there..
      Hope that you have some suggestions!
      Thanks so much

1 Answer Aug 5, 2013 at 4:34 AM
    • From Durban to Drakensberg mountains

by tripnare Online Now May 7, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Hi , may be you can help us, we are travelling next week to Durban and staying there for a couple of days and then hiring a game in Hluluwe for 3 days , on the next day we wanted to drive to the Drakensberg mountains to be able to see something different, beach - game - mountains.... do you know if we need to take the malaria pills? we only have this week and next week before the weekend so we the time is running out...

do you know also how long would it take us to drive from Hluluwe to the Drakensberg mountains and from there back to Durban ? as our plan was to drive back to Durban on the day we have to fly back to London.

Hope you are able to help us,

thank you very much!

1 Answer May 7, 2013 at 2:20 AM
    • abwun's Profile Photo

Fishing geare, rolls, rods,baits

by abwun Online Now Apr 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM

A friend of mine is in Durban. Could you please give me some adresses of fishing geare shops in Durban?

2 Answers Apr 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    • RasilaK's Profile Photo

Transportation

by RasilaK Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I am travelling with my family from overseas and arriving at night. Is the taxi service to a hotel safe and reliable?

1 Answer Feb 19, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    • Mikelin's Profile Photo

Durban in January

by Mikelin Online Now Nov 19, 2012 at 2:26 AM

I'm so pleased to have found your site. My partner and I are fit 60 year olds who are visiting Durban on 7th January for a month long stay. For the first 2 weeks we will be with his family - son and daughter-in-law in their mid thirties with 4 boys, -10 month old twins, and 3 and 6 year olds. They moved there in July for his son's job. With our help they would like to take the family on a trip to the mountains before the children return to school on the 14th. We'll need a large property where we can self cater, maybe with a safari park nearby.
      We want the boys to experience what the country has to offer whilst they are living there.
      Also, my partner and I then plan to go off on our own and see more of the area including Zululand and maybe Rourkes Drift
      We would also like to drive to Cape Town where he was born and still has family. He left for the UK aged 17 in the apartheid era.
      I can see that we have a choice of routes and could maybe do one there and another back. What must see places can we visit en-route?
      I'm not sure if we can afford tol visit again and so really want to make the most of this trip.

Linda

2 Answers Nov 19, 2012 at 3:36 AM
    • Visit to Durban

by Trevhse Online Now Nov 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Hi fellow members.

We are to visit Durban in January as my husband has business there lasting one day but we have the option of staying up to four days. We have visited SA many times but never ventured to this area. His business is in Pinetown and from research feel the best area to stay is Umhlanga, however this is 35 km away from Pinetown. Hubby would like to hire a car, ( we have driven from Joburg to Hoedspruit before) but not sure of hiring a car in the Durban area. Would it be very expensive to have a return taxi from Umhlanga to Pinetown? Also is there enough to see in 4 days or do you think we would be better cutting this time short. After Durban we go to Kruger through the crocodile gate (we thought we would fly here) as notice it is a very long drive.

Would be grateful for any help info and thanks.

13 Answers Nov 15, 2012 at 6:08 AM
    • Any helpful tips?

by kk20 Online Now May 16, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Hi there,

A friend and I are travelling to South Africa this summer and are thinking of visiting the Durban area. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on must sees or good places to stay (for cheap!). We are two female students 20 years old.

Thanks for your help!

5 Answers May 17, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    • Something independent for my 15 year old daughter to do in Durban?

by ledby3 Online Now Mar 13, 2012 at 6:57 AM

I am visiting Durban in Easter with my 3 daughters. The younger 2 are quite happy playing on the beach or in the pool but my 15 year old daughter is a lot harder to please! I have planned visits to the tourist attractions mentioned on the site, but wondered if there was anything suited more specifically for the eldest, perhaps where she could be left for a few hours? Or would that not be a good idea? It's been a long time since I last visited and I've had mixed reports about how safe it is for teenage kids. Any safe WiFi places she could hang out for a few hours? We will be based in Sunningdale, probably spending most time in Umhlanga and I do have transport. Many thanks!

4 Answers Feb 19, 2014 at 3:46 PM
    • Visiting Scottburgh

by Sello Online Now Jan 27, 2012 at 4:21 AM

I will be visiting Scottburgh during February.What is the cheapest public transport to Scottburgh from Durban station?

• Durban to Kosi Bay

by durban76 Online Now Jan 17, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Hello
      I am planning to visit Durban in early March and would like to visit Kosi Bay. Finding a place to stay in Kosi is no problem but getting there is turning out to be a big problem. I am travelling alone and have been quoted from ZAR 2000.00 to 5588.00 for a shuttle which is steep. Does anyone know of somewhere where I can find other travellers who are going north and who would be interested in sharing the cost of a bus. I am going to Manguzi. Thank you

3 Answers Jan 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    • JJ1's Profile Photo

Durban buses

by JJ1 Online Now Jan 14, 2012 at 5:25 AM

Can anyone tell me whether the Mynah buses are still running in and around Durban. I can't seem to find any up-to-date information on routes, timetables etc.
      Thanks very much!
      JJ

• Self-guided tours of reserves between St Lucia and Durban?

by morgandy Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Hi Folks,

I am looking at a number of other reserves after we leave Kruger. We will be staying in both St. Lucia and Durban. These reserves all request you send them emails for information.

Does anyone know if you have to go on paid safaris, or if you can drive by car? If there are some, could you provide the names?

Thanks for the help...

2 Answers Jan 1, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    • Advice for Driving Trip from Kruger down Eastern Coast

by morgandy Online Now Dec 28, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Folks,

I don't even know where to begin putting together a trip meandering down the east coast. We will be starting at Kruger, and want to drive the east coast down to at least Cape Town. Taking about 7-10 days of stops to surf, and see the marine parks, can anyone give advice on cheap, cheap lodgings, in what cities, that would be good for this? We would probably stay 2 nights at each place if really good. Cheap meaning hostels or anything of that nature. Or, is there a good travel agent you can recommend? My friend's ability to go is dependent on very tight$'s, and if we need to compress the time and not even get as far as CT that too would be okay. Thanks so much for any detailed guidance.

3 Answers Feb 19, 2014 at 3:46 PM
    • urgent need of a Tour guide

by Shathom Online Now Dec 21, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Can i have reliable contacts for a tour guide? some one who can show us the City for an affordable prize. i need to know before the end of today please

1 Answer Dec 21, 2011 at 2:00 AM
    • Transportation around Durban?

by mpchristoffels Online Now Oct 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I'm traveling to Durban late November-early December for a conference at the ICC. My hostel is kind of far from the ICC and it's not near any Metro stops, so I was wondering what the best way would be to get around Durban... I can't find much information about buses or anything. Are cabs expensive there? I will be there for almost three weeks so I don't think I could afford taking a cab every day.

3 Answers Oct 24, 2011 at 4:37 AM
    • save for traveling with in south africa

by zolaniphumezamalila Online Now May 31, 2011 at 10:18 AM

i'm interested in traveling around south africa,but can't affored with the money i have. my intentions are to save per month by joining any tour guide/traveling agency club if there ever is.

any advice i would be gratefull as i'm new in traveling

1 Answer May 31, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    • catherineneill's Profile Photo

King Shaka - Ballito - Driving ??

by catherineneill Online Now May 9, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Hi All

I'll be heading to my favourite African Airport King Shaka from Jo'burg next week and was planning to hire a car. But I just checked my flight times and I'll be arriving into Shaka at 6pm.

I've never been in Durban in May - what time does it get dark and would it be safe enough to drive to Ballito from there? My scariest S.African experienced happened on the road from Umhlanga to Ballito at night so I don't want to be driving then.

Alternative would be to take a taxi, which I will do if it will be dark....

Thanks

Catherine

3 Answers May 10, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    • jmatontour's Profile Photo

crime

by jmatontour Online Now Mar 31, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Hi, my name is Jon, I am a student from the UK, a couple mates and myself are studying in Durban for a couple months this summer. We are having a bit of difficulty finding somewhere to stay though. We have found a couple holiday lets but we dont really know where the good areas and bad areas are. I was looking on a lettings website and found a really nice looking appartment complex in "point" however, I have heard this is a bit of a dodgy area? There are a few websites that say it is undergoing a bit of a regeneration thought? has anyone been that can offer any advice.
      cheers
      Jon

5 Answers Dec 26, 2011 at 3:26 PM
    • johnaalex's Profile Photo

Dolphin Viewing In Umhlanga in April

by johnaalex Online Now Feb 27, 2011 at 11:06 AM

We will be visiting Durban/Umhlanga during the last 2 weeks of April. Any chance that wild dolphins will be visible then and any tips on tour operators doing dolphin viewing boat tours?

TIA

John

4 Answers Apr 8, 2011 at 12:20 AM
    • Osmun79's Profile Photo

Ethiopian?

by Osmun79 Online Now Jan 2, 2011 at 5:11 AM

So.. It's probably a lost cause but I have never been able to find an Ethiopian restaurant in Durban. I CRAVE Ethiopian food.

Does such a thing exist in Durbz?

1 Answer Jan 3, 2011 at 2:48 AM
    • diosh's Profile Photo

More a personal request than a travel query....

by diosh Online Now Sep 21, 2010 at 2:21 AM

Is there a friendly VTer out there in Durban, SA?
      Posted: Mon September 20, 2010 11:20 AM BST This may sound like a strange request--but here goes.
      I have a very dear friend, from schooldays, who is travelling to Durban in early October. She's going alone on a very special, but emotional trip..to meet the child whom she gave for adoption 43 years ago, for the 1st time!
      Obviously she is feeling very wobbly about it.
      I wondered, should she need it, if there were someone in Durban, or nearby, whom she could email, for, maybe, a bit of friendly, VT support, should she need it.
      She may even need someone with whom she could meet up, to get away, for a short break,of an hour or two, from the, possibly, tense situation, in her daughter's home, where she will be staying.
      She will be alone and will have never flown such a distance, to such an unfamiliar country in such extraordinary circumstances.
      Is there anyone over there, with whom she could make friendly contact, via email, or, even, with whom she could meet, for a coffee, just to ease the emotional situation?
      The contact with her daughter has only very recently been made, by her daughter, with whom she's now been in frequent email contact! She had no idea she lived in Durban, nor that her daughter had 2 children. So- she's discovered she's a grandmother too!
      Rather a lot to take on board, after so many years.
      My friend is now 60 and had her baby at a very young age, in a time when it was frowned upon and she was made to give up her child.
      I do hope there might be someone, amongst the wonderful VT community, with whom I could put her in touch?
      All she'll need, probably, is a friendly chat, with someone who might understand her situation....and put her at ease.
      Thanking you, in advance:-)

2 Answers Sep 28, 2010 at 2:38 AM