Durban Travel Answers

change location
diosh's Profile Photo

More a personal request than a travel query....

by diosh Online Now Sep 21, 2010 at 2:21 AM

Is there a friendly VTer out there in Durban, SA?
Posted: Mon September 20, 2010 11:20 AM BST This may sound like a strange request--but here goes.
I have a very dear friend, from schooldays, who is travelling to Durban in early October. She's going alone on a very special, but emotional trip..to meet the child whom she gave for adoption 43 years ago, for the 1st time!
Obviously she is feeling very wobbly about it.
I wondered, should she need it, if there were someone in Durban, or nearby, whom she could email, for, maybe, a bit of friendly, VT support, should she need it.
She may even need someone with whom she could meet up, to get away, for a short break,of an hour or two, from the, possibly, tense situation, in her daughter's home, where she will be staying.
She will be alone and will have never flown such a distance, to such an unfamiliar country in such extraordinary circumstances.
Is there anyone over there, with whom she could make friendly contact, via email, or, even, with whom she could meet, for a coffee, just to ease the emotional situation?
The contact with her daughter has only very recently been made, by her daughter, with whom she's now been in frequent email contact! She had no idea she lived in Durban, nor that her daughter had 2 children. So- she's discovered she's a grandmother too!
Rather a lot to take on board, after so many years.
My friend is now 60 and had her baby at a very young age, in a time when it was frowned upon and she was made to give up her child.
I do hope there might be someone, amongst the wonderful VT community, with whom I could put her in touch?
All she'll need, probably, is a friendly chat, with someone who might understand her situation....and put her at ease.
Thanking you, in advance:-)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Re: More a personal request than a travel query....

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Sep 28, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Hi Diana
    What an amazing situation - I can only imagine the maelstrom of emotions that she is experiencing! Unfortunately I live in Johannesburg rather than Durban, but would be willing to provide some moral support and a sympathetic ear. Not what you're looking for, I know, but maybe better than nothing? Perhaps we could at least offer some logistical assistance in helping her to transfer from the international to the domestic flight (since I assume that she's flying via Johannesburg) depending on her travel date, so that at least she doesn't have to worry about that bit?
    Regards
    Cathy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • diosh's Profile Photo

Re: More a personal request than a travel query....

by diosh Online Now Sep 28, 2010 at 2:38 AM

Thankyou, Katherine. Perhaps if you forward me your email address,via my VT mail, I can pass it on to my friend and she could always have a chat with you? It would be good to have a friendly 'voice'.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines