Durban Travel Answers

change location

Internship in Durban

by Quick_silver_ Online Now Aug 20, 2007 at 1:21 AM

Hi everyone!
I'm from moscow (Russia) I've got an internship offer with consulting company in Durban. i really wanna go, but everybody says that the crime is really high there. is that true or as always exaggerated. how safe is it for a young girl who lives alone? (though the company promised to locate me in the safest district). The office is located in Overport City. is it safe area?
How much is the car rent? what is budget option to buy a car?
The R1000 living allowance is enough? Can i live on R5000 per month (excl. appartment).
I have so many questions, because i've never been to africa. though i have a rich experience of traveling and living abroad.
all the answers are highly appreciated. thanks,
Maria

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • mvtouring's Profile Photo

Re: Internship in Durban

by mvtouring Online Now Sep 7, 2007 at 2:17 AM

Hi Maria,
    The crime is bad, but then again it is also bad in Moscow and as long as you are street smart you will be ok. I do not know Durban that well, so unfortunately cannot assist you regarding the accommodation and the area where you will be working, but I am sure that your company will put you in a good and safe area. You can get some nice cheap cars here like the Hyundai Atos for R79,000. Car hire you can try budget and see what they will charge you, else speak to the HR people at your company and ask them to assist, they might get even better rates. R5000 per month to live on should be more than enough . Not sure what you mean by the R1000 living allowance though.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines