I have been reading quite interesting bits of information about South Africa and Durban in particular.
Actually I am planning to move to Durban as I have a job offer. I guess you guys would be the right people to guide me on the scenario in Durban
- Keep reading about the high crime rate in Durban. Please tell me, seriously, how bad is it? or is it exaggerated too much. This must be one pertinent question that foreigners must be asking. My reason being I would be moving in with my family
- Are there areas which one must really avoid going to.
- Is it like all the areas are risky.
- How good is it for settling down with families - specially schooling etc.
- What level of income would be enough to live comfortably.
Durban is a wonderful place to live, and SA is the best place in the world. That said, we do have many many problems, and security is the biggie. The crime rate is very high. There are more and more 'residential estates' sprouting by the day, and this is pretty much the safest place to buy into if you have a family. There are many really good ones that have space for a family to grow up in. Central Durban is rife with crime and our police are thinly stretched, those that we do have are largely corrupt (although we do have many dedicated policemen on the force, make no mistake). I can't give you all the advice I'd like to n this small space, but would be happy giving you some more info if you want. Should you move here? Depending on where you are coming from and where your job is based, I would never say no. One just has to be careful and take the advice of people in the know. Don't want to be a party pooper, we have lived here all our lives and would never leave, so that says something, but one does need to make sure your eyes are wide open.
Be the first to rate this answer!