Durango

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Safety and a Good Start

Denver Apr 8, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I'm moving to Denver with my best friend, from New Orleans with NO car. We are going to take advantage of the transit lines. Can anyone point me in the direction of a safe and cheap part of town walking distance of the Transit line? Thank you, and we would love to meet y'all locals!

more
    • StacyO's Profile Photo

where is the best place to find pretty rocks at

Estes Park Apr 9, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Where is the best place to find pretty rocks

more
    • September Adventure Activities for 18 & 20 year old kids & mom

Rocky Mountain National Park Apr 10, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Going to spend a week at a cabin in Estes Park on the river. Although I want to do a lot of hiking & taking photoes & viewing wildlife, my kids are at the age where they also want adventures. They are both very physically fit, outdoorsy & extremely adventurous. In or around Rocky Mtn Park/Estes Park do they offer activities such as off road adventures with ATVs, Jeeps or Rzrs? Maybe some zipline courses through the forest? Rafting? Any other exciting activities? Thanks

more
    • mccalpin's Profile Photo

A place to meet outside security at Denver Airport

Denver Apr 5, 2014 at 7:59 PM

The Official Spousal Unit is heading to Denver Airport Monday morning on American. Once there, she will meet up with a co-worker coming in from Toronto on United, who will arrive an hour or so later.

The OSU will pick up checked luggage and wants to find a place like a food place to wait for an hour or so for her compatriot, preferably near the baggage claim and/or the Budget rental car desk.

However, she complained to me that after looking at the Denver Airport website, she couldn't figure out what was inside security and what was outside, nor why there were six levels (that seems to be at least three more than other airports).

I said that the Old Experienced Traveler would take a look...and heckfire if she isn't right - the Denver website is remarkably unclear about what's where. Sure, you know what level things are on, but what is airside and what is landside?

For example, is the Jeppesen Terminal largely landside? Is the food court on Level 6 inside or outside security? It seems like it is, but many US airports have virtually all their services inside security, and the wording here is remarkably fuzzy.

Or, to put it another way, if you had an hour to kill at 9 in the morning (or whatever) waiting for your ride to show up to go to the Budget counter, where would you wait for him nearby?

Thanks!

Bill

more
    • train cars

by hga55-ky Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM

What are the perks for paying for the most expensive train cars on the Silverton Durango?

1 Answer Mar 21, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    • Bayfield -- Forest Lakes

by dower7667 Online Now Jun 26, 2012 at 4:17 PM

My wife and I are relocating to SW Colorado and were recommended Bayfield for its proximity to Durango and affordability. When researching the Forest Lakes subdivision we noticed a large amount of houses for sale, and foreclosures. The homes seem reasonable priced. Is there something wrong with this neighborhood? We have driven through it many years ago and it seemed ok. Has it changed? Are there infrastructure problems? Plowing, water, sewer, etc.?

3 Answers Jun 27, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    • suekay3's Profile Photo

Hotels

by suekay3 Online Now Jun 2, 2012 at 2:57 PM

We are spending 2 days in Durango at the end of September. We don't want to spend a fortune on a hotel (Strater!) but have been told that the cheaper hotels are at the north end of town, and that area is not safe. Any thoughts on this? Recommendations?

2 Answers Jun 4, 2012 at 3:03 AM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

Bar in Durango with largest variety of beers?

by swdke Online Now Mar 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Which bar in Durango has the largests variety of beer? Thanks!

1 Answer Mar 17, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

Durango Ski Areas?

by swdke Online Now Jan 11, 2010 at 6:24 AM

We are planning a ski trip to Telluride in March, and have booked flights to Durango for best fares. In addition to Telluride, I see that there are other ski areas as well, such as Purgatory. Also, how are is Wolf Creek from Durango.

Looking for advice as to whether we should focus our entire ski trip in Telluride, or include other resorts.

If skiing other resorts are suggested, can you share anything about these resorts as to why we should consider skiing them too?

Thanks

3 Answers Jan 11, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    • 6 days

by JanetLC Online Now Mar 28, 2009 at 9:52 PM

We have 6 days to spend in Colorado. We are very anxious to get to the mountains to take in all the breathtaking scenery, do some hiking to waterfalls and take lots of pictures. We will be spending the night in Cortez prior to Day one, so we will be able to get a very early start in Mesa Verde. We want to take a couple guided tours with climbing ladders, and take pictures from the overlooks etc. What time will be able to get out of the Mesa Verde park? Should we stay in Durango (is it scenic with mountains?) or should we drive on up to Ouray that first day ? We want to spend Day 2 driving through and exploring Ouray (hiking to Bear Creek Falls, Cascade Falls and Box Canyon Falls),Ridgway (eating at True Grit Cafe?) and taking some pictures at the overlooks of Black Canyon of the Gunnison. We would probably stay in Gunnison or Canon City if that is not too far to drive? Day 3 we were thinking of seeing Royal Gorge and Cheyenne Park (to see Silver Cascade Falls and Seven Falls). Day 4 we will do Pikes Cogway and Garden of the Gods. Day 5 and 6 we were thinking of going to RMNP. Is this a feasible iteiniary? If not what should we eliminate?

2 Answers Mar 31, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    • Touring through Durango

by JanetLC Online Now Feb 25, 2009 at 5:24 PM

We are thinking of spending the night in Durango after touring through Mesa Verde all day. Is there much to see in Durango to keep us busy all evening (we do not have time to take the train) , or should we drive on two hours to Pagosa Springs to spend the night?

3 Answers Feb 26, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    • Durango Train Ride

by BrendaMartin Online Now Jul 7, 2007 at 11:59 AM

If you take the bus back, is it faster? How long does the trip take?

1 Answer Jul 7, 2007 at 4:01 PM
    • Bayfield & Durango in Feb, for relocation ... any advice on other towns to visit?

by coltoncity Online Now Dec 5, 2006 at 6:41 PM

Hi,

I am going to be heading up to Flagstaff, Durango and Bayfield in Feb. to look around. My daughter and I will be relocating in the summer.

I do not know much about the areas and I was hoping that you would give me some info on it? Is there anyg other town you would suggest I visit?

Will the driving be very hard in those areas?
      It would be so appreciated and I thank you in advance for any help you could give.
      :)

• skylynx's Profile Photo

Late Fall in Durango

by skylynx Online Now Aug 6, 2005 at 9:07 AM

Greetings to ya'll from Florida. We are two friskie seniors who can't get out there until early November this year. We love active outdoors, such as ATV, horses, jeep tours in the mountain areas, but not into snow sports or freezing to death. Would like to know what kind of weather to expect and if we need to book a flight between blizzards. Please 'scuze ignorance but I've been in snow only once, but three hurricanes last year! Can we still ride the Silverton train then?

1 Answer Aug 7, 2005 at 4:02 PM
    • beatchfre's Profile Photo

Things to do (especailly May 5th to May 9th) & random questions

by beatchfre Online Now Apr 7, 2005 at 12:50 PM

Hi there,

I live down in Santa Fe (4 hours away from Durango). My parents are coming to visit me from Scotland and like to show them Durango as well - I've been there before (just for day), so I already know that they'll love it.

I plan to arrive in Durango on May 5th around lunchtime and drive home the following day in the late afternoon (it's a very short visit, I know). My plan is to just explore downtown on Thursday, check into a hotel, and then have dinner/drinks. On the Friday morning, I was planning to go to Mesa Verde and then home.

Can anyone recommend some fun places for my parents? My dad is fascinated by the old west, and we all enjoy bars with live music. I need recommendations on places to eat that are very southwest (e.g. patrons having cowboy hats), and bars that are lively and not filled with a college crowd. Actually, can someone list all the popular bars in town?

Also, where can I find a detailed event listing for Durango? I've found various sites via Google, but they've been lacking. What (online) resources do the locals use to find out who's playing at bars/venues? I realize that we're only there for a short time, but it could be prolonged if there were something great going on!

When I was there we stayed at a Best Western or Holiday Inn (or something) just a few blocks from downtown. It was pretty reasonable, and I'd stay there again. However, is there anything nearby that's a lot more appealing to tourist e.g. log cabins surrounded by trees and rolling hills?

If anyone has any ideas on things to do while we're there, please feel free to share.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

- Best regards,
      Lee

PS: Last time we went to Mesa Verde, we couldn't actually walk down to the structures. Is there somewhere we can phone in advance for passes, or is it first-come, first-serve?

4 Answers Apr 8, 2005 at 11:44 AM
    • KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Durango Winter Train Ride

by KimberlyAnn Online Now Oct 26, 2004 at 12:32 PM

We are going to be snowbirds this winter and will be passing through Durango sometime in early January. We love trains, and see that the train runs a trip Wed. - Saturday to Cascade Canyon and back. If you have any information about this, I would like to know if this is a nice winter trip, and whether they use the diesel or steam engine. Also would I have to make reservations well in advance for January, as we do not usually travel on a set schedule.

1 Answer Oct 28, 2004 at 2:30 PM
    • Are there any members in Chromo Colorado

by chav0016 Online Now Aug 21, 2004 at 3:25 PM

I am looking some members that might be living in or around Chromo.

• Tayto's Profile Photo

Weekend Visit to Durango

by Tayto Online Now Jun 21, 2004 at 1:18 AM

I will be in Durango on a business trip from Dubin Ireland - I have the weekend free (25th June - 27th) and plan to hire a car. Any suggestions on what is a "must see / do". I was thinking of doing the Sky road drive (I think its called)...about 230 miles ...or as much of it as I can get done on Saturday...going to Masa Verde in the early part of the journey ...any tips / ideas greatly appreciated. Usually I like to plan travel well in advance but I only found out about this opportunity yesterday.

5 Answers Jun 30, 2004 at 2:34 PM
    • Is it best to make hotel reservations?

by Familyroadtrip Online Now Mar 17, 2004 at 5:52 AM

I am planning a family road trip thru Southwest Colorado the second week of June 04. My goals are to spend the nights in Mesa Verde, Durango, Montrose, Glenwood Springs, and Aspen. I am not sure if we are going to make these destinations on time, but I'm afraid of not being able to find a place to stay. If anyone has any advise on these areas I would appreciate it.

2 Answers Apr 11, 2004 at 10:17 PM
    • Purgatory Village Hotel

by jeanatjena Online Now Jan 22, 2004 at 12:59 PM

Will someone give me an honest review of the Purgaory Village Condominium Hotel. We are contemplating staying there on a ski trip next winter. Thanks.

1 Answer May 8, 2005 at 11:39 AM
    • Wheelchair Accessible Rest Rooms between Alb. and Durango?

by missingmatika Online Now Aug 9, 2003 at 12:39 AM

Hi Everyone, My nephew lives in Durango and is getting married in October there. My brother in law has multiple sclerosis and is in a wheelchair. He and my sister will fly from San Diego to Alb., rent a special van, and hopefully make it to Durango okay. The problem is he fears there won't be any wheelchair accessible bathrooms on that newly widened highway (the 550?) as he needs to stop every hour and maybe less due to his disability. Does anyone have more info. on this highway between the two cities? Thanks so much. Anita

1 Answer Mar 19, 2005 at 8:13 AM
    • Car Rental in Durango

by ReefinAZ Online Now Jul 9, 2003 at 1:06 PM

I'm going to Telluride via Durango in mid August. I'm looking for a Cadillac Escalade or Hummer to rent for a couple of days. Does anyone know of a car rental service that carries luxury cars? I'd be open to a sports car as well. Thanks for th info.