Durango Travel Answers

change location
Tayto's Profile Photo

Weekend Visit to Durango

by Tayto Online Now Jun 21, 2004 at 1:18 AM

I will be in Durango on a business trip from Dubin Ireland - I have the weekend free (25th June - 27th) and plan to hire a car. Any suggestions on what is a "must see / do". I was thinking of doing the Sky road drive (I think its called)...about 230 miles ...or as much of it as I can get done on Saturday...going to Masa Verde in the early part of the journey ...any tips / ideas greatly appreciated. Usually I like to plan travel well in advance but I only found out about this opportunity yesterday.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: Weekend Visit to Durango

by Duckhook Online Now Jun 21, 2004 at 1:35 AM

Tayto My wife and I were in Durango, albeit very briefly some years ago. 2 things I remember vividly. The drive up into the rockies to a little town called Ouray. The Silverton Train. One of the best little railways worldwide. Have a look at durangotrain.com Enjoy your trip Regards Roger (also from Ireland. Small world isn't it)_

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Tayto's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Weekend Visit to Durango

by Tayto Online Now Jun 21, 2004 at 9:31 AM

Roger, Many thanks for the info. I tried to look up the railroad but having difficultites accessing their website but I did find some info on it and it looks like soemthin I will organise for Sunday if I can. Also checked Ouray on map and think that will be a drive I will make. yep the Irish seem to be everywhere ! many thanks Joe

• DurangoBry2298's Profile Photo

Re: Weekend Visit to Durango

by DurangoBry2298 Online Now Jun 22, 2004 at 10:33 AM

Tayto, As a local of Durango and a person who loves the scenic beauty of the outdoors I recommend the 45 minute drive to Vallecito Lake (pronounced Viy-a-cito). It is a small lake community with several great places to eat. I have no vested interest in any of them, but recommend: Buffalo Gap (casual old west style) Virginia's Steakhouse (casual-fine dining) The surrounding area was badly burned by the big fire last year, but the scenery around the lake was largely not affected and is beautiful. Here are some links: coloradovacation.com/vallect... http://www.vallecitolakechamber.com In town I like to enjoy a pint of Guinness at "Lady Falconburg's" http://www.ladyfalconburgh.com/ Hope this helps...any other questions I can be reached at lukeskybrocker@hotmail.com Cheers, Bryan

• Tayto's Profile Photo

by Tayto Online Now Jun 26, 2004 at 6:45 PM

Many thanks for your reply. I picked it up a bit late for the drive idea. I am actually in Durango at present. Excellent town...very much as I imagined towns from old western movies...in fact expecting the James gang to arrive at any minute to hold up the bank or the train. Currently in the internet cafe in the town. Staying in Straters which is good and just had a beer in Carvers. Will check out the places you mentioned. I went to Mesa Verde today really interesting and I could see the effects of the forest fires you mentioned all around the place. I also drove to Rico but time didn't allow me to go all the way on the skyway. I am doing the real tourist thing and going on the Silverton train tomorrow so looking froward to that...though if I was doing it again would skip it and hire the car for a second day. Joe

• Tayto's Profile Photo

by Tayto Online Now Jun 30, 2004 at 2:34 PM

Train ride was most excellent !!!! Fantastic scenery and the weather was great until just before Silverton when we had a thunderstorm. Silverton was ...interesting....wouldn't like to live there though !

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines