Durango Travel Answers

change location

Is it best to make hotel reservations?

by Familyroadtrip Online Now Mar 17, 2004 at 5:52 AM

I am planning a family road trip thru Southwest Colorado the second week of June 04. My goals are to spend the nights in Mesa Verde, Durango, Montrose, Glenwood Springs, and Aspen. I am not sure if we are going to make these destinations on time, but I'm afraid of not being able to find a place to stay. If anyone has any advise on these areas I would appreciate it.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • thesweetooth's Profile Photo

Re: Is it best to make hotel reservations?

by thesweetooth Online Now Mar 19, 2004 at 4:24 PM

I would make hotel reservations, if possible. Some of those places may have websites; at the very least you should be able to find a phone number of the city chamber of commerce who could give you info on local places to stay. I have stayed in Durango, at the Budget Inn I think on Main Ave. Durango is neat b/c they have a cheap bus that goes up and down the main street like every 20 min then another bus that covers most of the town. And the downtown area is really cool with little shops and a variety of restaurants. I stayed in Montrose too, but camped so I can't comment on hotels. Didn't really like the town-not very many restaurants and was kinda boring. If feasible, I would recommend checking out Ouray instead (about 40 mi from Montrose).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GlacierJames's Profile Photo

Re: Is it best to make hotel reservations?

by GlacierJames Online Now Apr 11, 2004 at 10:17 PM

Howdy, I lived in Durango off and on for 10 years and I recommend Mesa Verde, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride. I believe the Alpine Loop takes you North from Durango to Silverton then to Ouray, then Telluride then back to Durango. Or you can hit Mesa Verde (Cortez, CO will always have rooms) Then Durango, stay in Silverton one night if you can and In Ouray one night, then if you skip Telluride you can continue north to GrandJunction and catch I-70 East to Glenwood Springs. Camping is an option although the nights can still fall below freezing. Tourism season really doesn't take off until late June-August. Have a great trip. Eat at the local favorite Mama's Boy Italian Restaurant in Durango. And stop in at the Diamond Belle Saloon and have a drink......

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines