Dunmore Town Travel Answers

change location

Weather on Harbor Island

by johnwk Online Now Dec 11, 2002 at 5:17 PM

My wife and I are planning a trip to Harbor Island in January, but are concerned that it will on the chilly side--i.e. too cold for sun bathing and swimming. What have other people's experiences been in the Bahamas and N. Eleuthera in January?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • donato1899's Profile Photo

Re: Weather on Harbor Island

by donato1899 Online Now Dec 12, 2002 at 4:50 AM

It is very rarely too cold to sun bathe in the Bahamas. Only during the occassional cold front that pushed that far south and then only during frontal passage or very early in the day. On the contrary you can stand to be in the sun in the winter, in the summer it is too hot no matter where you come from. The water in the Bahamas is never too cold to swim.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Dec 12, 2002 at 5:12 AM

I can swim, my husband thinks it is too cold. I have more subcutaneous fat than he does to insulate me, plus I really LOVE to swim, and he doesn't. YMMV. People in Florida (like my daughter and SIL) think it is too cold to swim in the winter. The temperature at Chubb Cay (in the Berrys) in early March was 77 deg F. If you are going to be in the water for a significant period of time (longer than a half an hour for snorkeling or scuba diving) you might want some thermal protection (i.e. a wet suit).

• pilgrim55's Profile Photo

by pilgrim55 Online Now Dec 16, 2002 at 9:42 AM

The average high is 77 F. and the average low is 62 F. Is that warm enough for you? We are from Florida and were in S. Eleuthera and other outer islands ranging down to Turks and Caicos in late February/early March. It can be chilly in the evening, but nice enough during the middle of the day to sun on the beach and swim. See our pages on the Bahamas. Since you are from Massachusetts, you will find it lovely, I think.

• Re: Weather on Harbor Island

by gaunbay Online Now Jul 15, 2003 at 2:48 PM

It's the Bahamas it's never to cold to take a dip in the water! Good luck.

• Re: Weather on Harbor Island

by svjb Online Now Apr 24, 2007 at 8:56 PM

The weather is absolutely fabulous in January. Temps no colder than mid 70's on the coldest days.

Look at the skies in the photos on www.brilandphotos.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Dunmore Town