Dunedin Travel Answers

change location

car hire Otago

by weirdokarin Online Now Jan 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM

hello all
I am looking for advice about hiring a car in Otago.
My plan is to fly into Queenstown and out of Dunedin - ideally I'd like to hire a car at Queenstown airport and drop it off at Dunedin airport, but if that's going to be very expensive I might decide to drive back to Queenstown and drop the car off there.
Any advice? I want to pay the lowest rate possible - am I crazy to expect that from a smaller town?
Also, I am arriving the day before the long weekend in March, will that affect prices, do you think?

thanks for any input
Karin

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: car hire Otago

by angiebabe Online Now Jan 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Hi, do you have to fly out of Dunedin? there are brilliant relocation deals at the moment to bring cars back up to the North island though so if you could consider driving up and seeing some of the north island as well as a bonus...true rental cars can be quite expensive but with companies using a lot more older cars ie 5-6 years or 2-3 years old theres a lot of rental companies around that have cheaper deals but the relocation deal was even better...I was speaking with a guy at one company and was going to do it but had other business more important in the end so didnt go to have a few days in the South island afterall but anyway his rates were a little higher than some companies id got rates from but then we got talking relocation - the price would drop from42 a day to17 a day for rental over 2 week because you are paying the ferry crossing which is175 at the lowest price..they get higher the lower the availability is!
    anyway for a 3 rental week rental along with the ferry crossing payment for a pick up in Christchurch and drop off at Auckland it was going to cost the same as a 2 week rental pick up and drop off in Auckland. So a bargain. In the end i took a rental from a company in inner Auckland close to me for38 a day and have been very happy with it so far...ie am still in NZ on holiday with a rental car...

I can psss the contact details onto you if you are interested.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Steve51's Profile Photo

by Steve51 Online Now Jan 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM

these guys might be worth a look...nearer the time
    http://www.transfercar.co.nz/browseall

• Steve51's Profile Photo

by Steve51 Online Now Jan 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM

and if you are just going Queenstown-Dunedin without stopping / sightseeing along the way, then a shuttle might be the cheapest option

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jan 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Of course, a one-way hire (usually) is much more expensive than dropping the car off at the same location, and as Dunedin (usually) is not one of the big relocation deal locations, you would have to pay significant fees on top of the rental rate.

Hiring and dropping the car off at different locations also excludes many of the budget companies that have only one depot. (That's why you - also usually... - get the South Island's best rates in Christchurch.)

There are also less companies at the airport than in the city. (But in Dunedin you would pay a premium for a taxi as the airport is far from the city centre and there are no shuttle buses.)

If you look at the rental companies available at Dunedin Airport you will see that there are only three or so cheapies. A2B has very reasonable rates (NZ$ 37 per day for a small car) but you pay NZ$ 20 for renting at Queenstown airport (I think all companies charge that) and NZ$ 150 one-way fee.

Driving back to Queenstown would surely be the cheapest option as the distance is under 300km and petrol costs a lot less than the one-way charge, and the drive would just "cost" you four hours.

Of course, Steve's suggestion would be the best one if you do not want to do any sightseeing and just visit friends. But I cannot imagine this will be the case.

The fact that you arrive before the Easter weekend will not affect the rates but the availability of cars.

If you have all the time in the world you can surely relocate a car to Auckland - around the world in about three days ;-))) This would even save the cost of the airplane ticket ;-))

• Jackmorg's Profile Photo

by Jackmorg Online Now Jan 21, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I think that Big rental companies don't charge anything extra if you drop your car at different locations, If they have depot at your drop point.

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I do not all the fees of the big companies by heart but Hertz, for example, charge NZ$ 46 airport fee, adding NZ$ 92 to the rental starting at Queenstown airport and ending at Dunedin airport.

P.S.

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Even if they charge the airport fee only once the rental still is so much dearer that you really should check out smaller companies.

I usually opt for companies with a bigger number of depots, just in case you need a replacement vehicle, but for such a short distance between Queenstown and Dunedin there isn't any need for it.

• Re: car hire Otago

by archie.a Online Now Jan 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM

They also have operations in AU if any one's curious https://www.transfercar.com.au/browseall

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines