Dunedin Travel Answers

change location

Southern Cemetery

by JF5174 Online Now Nov 3, 2010 at 5:01 PM

I'm visiting Dunedin next week by cruise ship and am just wondering how easy it might be to get to the Southern Cemetery from the cruise terminal please. My 2x great grandmother is buried there. We only have a day in port and of course we also want to go into the city. My last visit to Dunedin was in 1974, also only a brief stopover!
Thanks very much for your help.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Southern Cemetery

by marmi138 Online Now Nov 8, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I dont know what the cost would be, but you would certainly be able to take a taxi. If there are none at the cruise terminal when you arrive, then either have someone call one for you, or walk into central Dunedin, there the tourist centre (and locals too in many cases) is called "The Octagon" and this is where the information centre is located, they could help you too.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Southern Cemetery

by Kakapo2 Online Now Nov 11, 2010 at 11:43 PM

The cruise ship terminal is in Port Chalmers, some 10 km from the city. There are buses at the terminal that take you to Dunedin.

The cemetery is a bit off the city centre on a steep hill. So once you are in the city centre you either take a public bus or a taxi. A taxi won't break the bank as it is not really far away.

If you want to take a public bus, best you contact the Visitor Centre to tell you the number and stop:

visitor.centre@dcc.govt.nz

On this map is the location and the layout of the Southern Cemetery:

dunedin.govt.nz/__data/asset...

And more info:

interment.net/data/nz/otago/...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines