Dunedin Travel Answers

change location

Bus from the Cruise Ship Terminal to the Railway Station

by Rogr23 Online Now Nov 17, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Having seen the very useful posting from Kakapo2 (20/10/08), we want to get from Port Chalmers (cruise ship, due in 8am) to the Railway Station for the 9 30am Taieri Gorge train on a Tuesday (16/12). Does the bus go close to the Station? Is it pratical at that time of day? Would we do better to try and get a taxi (approx cost) from the ship?
Many thanks
Roger

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Bus from the Cruise Ship Terminal to the Railway Station

by Kakapo2 Online Now Nov 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM

I do not know how fast you can get off the cruise ship - but the bus which would give you enough time to get to the Railway Station for your train trip already leaves at 8.15am (Mon - Fri) at Port Chalmers. Arrival in Dunedin at 8.40am. The next bus would arrive at 9.25am - so you would not make it in time.

The bus stops close to the Railway Station, this is not a problem. For example, the Octagon which is mentioned in the timetable, is only 200 or 300 metres from the railway station. Countdown (supermarket) is even closer.

buses.orc.govt.nz/BusTT/PDF/...

If you do not get on the 8.15am bus you have no other choice than take a taxi. Ah, no - normally there are shuttle buses from the cruise ship to the city. Please check this with the cruise company. However, I have the impression that this is not as speedy as you would need it. (I see the cruise ships arrive in Lyttelton, and it takes a while until the first shuttle buses start to run...)

The cost of a taxi comes to NZ$ 35 to 45.

More info here:
    dunedin.govt.nz/visitor-cent...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Bus from the Cruise Ship Terminal to the Railway Station

by chelly9378 Online Now Nov 25, 2008 at 5:41 AM

Thanks Kakapo2 for the useful info.

Hi Roger,

I think we are on the same ship (Celebrity Millenium Syd-NZ cruise) arriving Port Chalmers at 8am. Timing is also our problem (if we miss the 8:15am bus which is very likely) and I guess the only alternative is to catch a cab to make it to the Railway Station before 9:30am.

• Steve51's Profile Photo

by Steve51 Online Now Dec 20, 2008 at 1:13 AM

check with taieri.co.nz/contacts.htm...... think they either used to run the train down to Port Chalmers to cater for the cruise trade in summer, or they lay on buses to transfer people to and from the cruise ships

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Dec 20, 2008 at 2:24 PM

There is no passenger train between Dunedin and Port Chalmers. They run shuttle buses, and you can use the regular (public) bus.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines