Dunedin Travel Answers

change location

Rent a car/train ride/catlins

by aatiman Online Now Nov 11, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Hi

Our first stop in South island will be Dunedin. I am travelling with my parents and my kid.

Questions

1. Should we rent a car in Dunedin or just use public transportation.

2. Also, is the train ride from dunedin to queenstown worth it.Should we drive from dunedin to queenstown

3. We will be in dunedin for 2 nights, should we drive to catlins. There is so much to see in Dunedin. Please suggest

Thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • kiwi's Profile Photo

Rent a car/train ride/catlins

by kiwi Online Now Nov 11, 2008 at 1:44 PM

There is no train service from Dunedin to Queenstown. Renting a car makes things a lot easier for travel in NZ, you can go where you want. Public transport is very limited here. ANd with a child, having a car would be recommended so you know you will be mobile when you want to be.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Rent a car/train ride/catlins

by Kakapo2 Online Now Nov 11, 2008 at 3:02 PM

The train ride from Dunedin towards Queenstown ends in Middlemarch (Taieri Gorge Railway). I have not done it but most people who have done it like it. There is also another train trip along the coast to Palmerston (Seasider) - but only once a week on Wednesdays. If you really want to get to Queenstown, you can carry on by bus from Middlemarch. This is called Track and Trail Connection: http://www.taieri.co.nz/trackntrail.htm

There is also a combined trip: Seasider to Palmerston, bus to Middlemarch, Taieri Gorge Railway back to Dunedin.

Only in Dunedin it is easy to get around by bus but if you want to explore other areas it is difficult to impossible.

Although I love the Catlins I have to say that I would rather spend a day on Otago Peninsula than in the Catlins. It is much closer, and there are so many things to see and do. With a child I would consider penguin and albatross watching.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Re: Rent a car/train ride/catlins

by TheWanderingCamel Online Now Nov 13, 2008 at 3:22 PM

The Catlins will have to wait. Dunedin and its immediate environs will keep you occupied well and truly for your two days there. You'll need a car of your own if you're going to make the best of the Otago Peninsula. The Taieri Gorge Railway is a tourist train trip out of Dunedin that connects through to Queenstown by coach from the end of the line or you make the return to Dunedin.
    http://www.taieri.co.nz/trackntrail.htm

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines