Dunedin Travel Answers

change location

dunedin to auckland

by rslynn07 Online Now Aug 23, 2007 at 12:12 AM

could someone pls advise on how best to get from dunedin to auckland? i've found that it'll cost me about 300dollars return for airfare. Will buses be more affordable or worse? I guess time and extra costs will factor in for land travelling as I'd have to put up overnights on the way there, yes?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • craic's Profile Photo

Re: dunedin to auckland

by craic Online Now Aug 23, 2007 at 12:19 AM

Dunedin to Auckland is a bit of an epic. Off the train or bus. Into the inter island ferry. Off the inter island ferry onto another train or bus.
    It would have to take you 2 days.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • marcia1's Profile Photo

by marcia1 Online Now Aug 31, 2007 at 2:17 AM

If you book real early you might be lucky and get aNZ300 return fare but I would budget for more if I were you. About500 would be normal. Yes, overland would quite possibly equal or surpass flying, for cost, and it would take at LEAST two days... But on the plus side of that you'd see more of the country and it is a nice scenic place... Lookit, if you watch this website, which changes daily, www.airnewzealand.co.nz/grabaseat you might be able to get part or all of a Dunedin to Auckland airfare on the cheap. Today for example they were selling fares between Wellington and Auckland for29. That's unheard of! Almost all flights Dunedin to Auckland go via Wellington, so if you nabbed a deal like that and then bought Dunedin to Wellington return instead, well then you'd be getting closer to your300 mark. Good luck with your plans.

• sabrepoint's Profile Photo

by sabrepoint Online Now Sep 1, 2007 at 3:42 AM

Hi
    Keep an eye out for Air NZ's grabaseat flightbookings.airnewzealand.... But not sure if timing would suit you. I guess it can be booked for abroad.

They have some great specials but you've got to be quick. Unsure if new Virgin Blue do Dun > Auck.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines