Dunedin Travel Answers

change location
vanchi228's Profile Photo

Public transport question

by vanchi228 Online Now Jun 13, 2007 at 5:06 AM

pls anyone knows the public transport website of Dunedin, can you tell me?
is there any public bus that goes to the Otago Peninsula and how long does it take to travel there from the city centre?

I found some information about a bus called citibus (gold and blue color) that offers6 all day fare. Does anyone know where I can catch this bus from the city?

Also, I'm planning to stay at this backpacker 36 Arden Street, Opoho , Dunedin, New Zealand. Do you know how far it is from the CBD and how to get there by public bus?

Many thanks for your help!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • allikat's Profile Photo

Re: Public transport question

by allikat Online Now Jun 13, 2007 at 8:17 AM

You can get the hop on/hop off city tour bus from the Octagon right in the centre of Dunedin - that is also where the main tourist information office is.

The link is:

transportplace.co.nz/heritag...

The backpackers you mention is probably 15 minutes walk from the Octagon area. For bus info check:

orc.govt.nz/portal.asp?categ...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jun 13, 2007 at 4:38 PM

In addition to what Alison said, I am rather sure that there is no public bus to Otago Peninsula, at least I have never seen any. I suggest you rent a car for a day, there is so much to see and do on the Peninsula, and at very remote places which you can only access by car. The organised bus tours are rather expensive, so renting a car and paying the entry fee for the Albatross Colony would probably be cheaper in total.

• marcia1's Profile Photo

by marcia1 Online Now Jun 14, 2007 at 5:57 PM

There are sort of two routes to take out over the Otago Peninsula: a low road and a high road. The high road gives you all the nice views and is the route you would take if you were going to Larnach's Castle. Quite possibly the tourist buses go this way en route to the albatross colony too, but I'm not sure. There are many strange little exposed beaches, inlets and colonies of birdlife to discover if you do rent a car, which is a good suggestion. If it's albatross and seals you want to see, then you take the low road and just drive to the ends of the earth, at which point is the colony at Taiaroa Head (which is up on a cliff). This takes, I would guess, an hour by car, and slightly longer by tour bus as the low road is a winding one. It is wise to book in advance if you want to have an actual close encounter with the albatross, although the visitors centre at Taiaroa Head has good webcams to watch their nest activity for free, and outside you can often see the birds flying close overhead. There is a public bus along the low road that goes from Cumberland St in the city centre as far as Harrington Point, which unfortunately is maybe 15 or 20 minutes' drive short of the colony. The townships of Macandrew Bay and Portobello are on the regular weekday low-road public bus route, and are good places to visit if you're into seeing artists' studios. Also, they're good places to buy a nice New Zealand ice-cream, which is quite different from European and American stuff. The marine aquarium is at Portobello, although not really within walking distance from the bus stop. From Mac Bay there is a walking track that takes you up on to the peninsula hump, where you can get good views of the city at no charge. Good luck!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines